VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, our heater seems to be on permanent heat (not so bad at the moment!) and the blower only worked on 4 then gave up all together. Problem with a fuse, switch, blower.....?

Please help me to narrow things down.

Cheers

Martin T:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
permanent heat will be a jammed cable or valve - find it under the bonnet and see if its free

there is a resistor pack that controls the fan speed, as well as the vari posn switch

try pushing the switch knob in as you turn it - if it then works ar various speeds then the switch contacts are worn - replace the switch. - if it only works at one speed its the resistor ( build into the ducting housing ) - replace it

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update and unfortunately seeking further guidance.

I've replaced the resistor pack but still no fan on any settings (hopefully not a faulty item).

I've taken the heater console out and found that the grey lever which enters the rear of the temp dial has broken off where it engages with the dial, anyone know where I can get a replacement rather than a whole console at £70? This is why I had permanent heat.

Next step I guess is to replace the fan dial and/or heater blower?

Any other suggestions or advice, gratefully received.

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new to this thought I'd share my heater gave up over a period of about 2/3 months blower worked some days and not others so bit the bullet took it to bits and hey presto brushes completely burnt out found some that fit snd moded them to fit but discovered that the housing they sat in were knackered so looked at the fan motor and discovered that the new scirocco has the same blower brought brand new one off eBay £56 as the t5 ones are very expensive any way couple of mods required and you have to reverse polarity and change the fans over but now good as new

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Wibs, very interesting.

My latest exploits have involved electrically testing the fan switch; all working fine on all 4 settings so tested the new resistor pack; working fine on all 4 settings so I tested the power to fan, all working fine; ah ha! thought I, it's the blower motor so wrestled with it and the trunking to remove it from under the dash, tested it and.....all working fine!?! Nearly lost a finger in the process as I wasn't expecting it to spring into life! Connected it back up to the power and tested the whole system....everything working fine on all 4 settings. Not sure whether to laugh or cry!?! I'll clean all the connections before reassembling everything back together. I still have the problem of the broken grey lever that goes into the back of the temp control if any one can help or make suggestions?

Many thanks

Martin

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a relatively easy fix if it is the ball on the cam follower that has broken off. Should cost about a fiver to fix it yourself if you are technically minded. PM me if you want me to send you details.T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apologies for the thread hijack!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how powerful (or not) the heaters ought to be on a 1994 T4?

I don't seem to have any real difference on any of the settings, it does blow warm air and the directional settings seem to work OK but it's pretty weak, I have to tell the kids not to breathe on the school run!

I had a similar age Golf which had great heating and expected the van to be along the same lines.

If I had to guess I'd say there was a problem with the fan but it would just be a guess.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I've made some progress, I can assist others! T:
The blower is pretty powerful and you'll definitely notice the difference between 1 & 4. It's not too difficult to get the dash and glove box out and test the fan switch, resistor pack, power to fan and then after a bit of wrestling with the ducting you can take the blower out and test that.
Hope this helps
Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts