VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just had a look at my heater cable and found it is 'goosed' so, I have had a look at the Brickyard forum fix ( I understand that and how to take the cable off the dial). However my question is how to you attach the cable the the other end - the flap that directs wether the heat/ cold air should go up down/ middle vents or floor ???

Confused I can't really get to that bit !

Any help appreciated !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello
I've had issues with this flap and cable coming off

It's secured in a nylon ball joint and to reattach it I stripped off the lower dash on the drivers side, fed my hand up beside the clutch pedal as far as I could, got The wife to thread the cable through the dash and we popped it back into the socket using a extended thin screwdriver(and Some obligatory swearing!)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it help if somehow I removed the Glove box ? Is it easy to dismantle the lower dash part ?

I'm pretty 'hands -on' ( i'd like to think that :) )

Cheers for the info so far !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

I've just been working on my van today n realise the cable I reattached is the heater one(single one right hand side as you sit in van).

The heater direction control is on the left and has 2cables. I believe they're both nylon ball joints again and will pop back in easily with help of silicone but as you said you gotta get a hand or at least some fingers on them.

I think I remember reading that taking the glove box out is the way to do these?

Good luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
The cables are cheap enough from your local VW garage.

I replaced all mine in about 30 minutes.

First take out the radio and the dash tray. Then remove the front dash trim around the radio. And heater controls. A dash/trim leaver works well. When you get this out you can slide out the air vent bits. Put your hand down the right hand side of the air box and you will feel the clip holding the outer cable. Open the clip and pop the the ball joint out of the holder. Replace the cable and leave it sticking out of the front.

You can easily remove the heater controls and then just route the new cable via the exact same route and put it all back together.

You could check the cables on the left hand side as you may as well replace them whilst you've got it all it bits.

I have fairly large hands and did it no bother

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI,

Managed to have a look at this today, two slights problems :

When I clip the ball joint into the flap that controls the up an down vents is slightlt loose. So once I clip the cable in and pull on the cable, it dislodges itself.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep it placed in the ball joint ? Super glue ?

Also the on teh dial unit where the cables seat themselves this has broken too, do you think I can use superglue on these bit too ?

Cheers !

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there some sort rubberised glue On the market. I can use
For the plastic ball joint to keep in place available ?

As I understand it the white shell flap is no longer available ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You could use tiger seal or similar , use like silicon from a mastic gun but dries like rubber ,used it while building a kitcar and bonding rear spoiler and awning brackets ,good stuff IMO .

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah brill, I just got some of that stuff. Will give it a go and and let you guys know the outcome !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts