VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve done that thing were I go to fix something and make something else worse!!! I’ve gone to change the braided cable for the solid core cable that works a heater control flap on my 2005 T5. To fit the cable I’ve taken the centre bit out of the dash removing the radio and heater controls. I’ve also taken the glove box out and the old braided heater cable.

Way back under the dash where it is hard to reach or even see, there is a black ball end on the end of the new cable which fits into a white socket on a big arm of the heater itself! I pushed the black ball into the white socket and the socket part broke so won’t hold the ball anymore. It does still fit in there but won’t hold it in place for any great length of time.

The big white arm and hence the white socket the ball end fits into, I'm assuming, is permanent so won’t be coming out! It’s part of the heater. Its going to be pretty impossible to get any kind of tools in there to apply a fix so I need to come up with a solution to fix it at arms length. Any ideas would be most welcome. I need to try cable ties first then try something else. Even cable ties might not be that straight forward?

I think the alternative is to take the whole dash off to then get the heater out to then fix the arm which seems like a very big job so could be a bit much for me really.

Be good to hear from anyone who has experienced this before or has any ideas at all.

In the past I’ve had a few problems solved on here so I know there are some very clever people out there.

THIS MY WHITE FLAP ARM WHERE THE BLACK BALL (IN PLACE) FITS IN BUT WONT STAY THERE AS PART OF THE SOCKET HAS BROKEN OFF!
IMG_7271.jpg

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF IMAGES I HAVE FOUND ONLINE OF THE WHITE FLAP ARM THAT IS BROKEN
IMG_7450.PNG

IMG_7449.PNG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Benk yeah know what you mean that was my thought as well, I can try that but if it doesn't last then its another big job getting all the dash apart again. Definitely one viable way of doing it though.👍

I can just imagine a passenger thrashing around with the heater control knob to my horror and having it come off again!🤣

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ball on the end needs to be able to swivel and wrapping it in a cable tie won’t work because it just won’t 😔😄 the amount of times I’ve tried doing things like that and it hasn’t worked is unreal.
Have you still got the small bit of plastic that has come off.?? If so you could try as a last ditch attempt a product by CT1 it is an out of this world super glue and activator that will stick you to your van in a second if you’re not careful. It’s a brilliant product and definitely worth a punt if you have the broken bit of plastic

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ball on the end needs to be able to swivel and wrapping it in a cable tie won’t work because it just won’t 😔😄 the amount of times I’ve tried doing things like that and it hasn’t worked is unreal.
Have you still got the small bit of plastic that has come off.?? If so you could try as a last ditch attempt a product by CT1 it is an out of this world super glue and activator that will stick you to your van in a second if you’re not careful. It’s a brilliant product and definitely worth a punt if you have the broken bit of plastic
Hi Louifresh yeah I can imagine it coming off down the road somewhere in the depths of the dash on a long journey. 😬 I need to be relatively confident with the fix.

The little plastic bit popped off somewhere in the depths but I can definitely have a look for it again. I will try. Even at a minimum I could try glueing and another fix on top maybe. I know the ball has to swivel but I was thinking about multiple cable ties as well possibly, but cable ties on their own might not last?

I’ve got the same issue. I just remove the glove box and change it to screen in winter....
Hey Johnso I did consider having a manual arm attached to the white flap arm controlling just that flap but sticking out of the dash but its not ideal is it!🤣

Another option is to change the white flap arm BUT I don't even know if you can? Im assuming not, although I think I did read about adjusting it somewhere so could be possible. Ive looked online for pictures that show how its attached but can't see anything. There is also the possibility of trying to fix that and then breaking something else even deeper in the whole system?🤣🤣🤣

I did think about some sort of clamp holding the ball in from the top and bottom so it could still move sideways but Im still not sure how I would do that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I missed the obvious solution... it needs cable ties and also duck tape (y):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah know what you mean although I think its too late for me now! Much bigger job! 😬

Anyway it would be interesting to see how many hours labour they put on and how much it costs.
With the skills, right knowledge and tools it perhaps wouldn't take long to do?
If you do get it done and remember let us know!

UNLESS YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND THAT IS!!!!!!🤣

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah know what you mean although I think its too late for me now! Much bigger job! 😬

Anyway it would be interesting to see how many hours labour they put on and how much it costs.
With the skills, right knowledge and tools it perhaps wouldn't take long to do?
If you do get it done and remember let us know!

UNLESS YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND THAT IS!!!!!!🤣
Bottling even taking the trim and stereo out! Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts