VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

some of the lights behind my heater controls don't work anymore and i'd like to replace them with new bulbs or check wiring if its that. Before I start trying to ruin my dash with a screwdriver is there a easy way to get to these? :* 98td swb.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have just changed my whole panel and its a bit fiddley although not too difficult! As im aware there is only 1 bulb that lights the whole panel and its just a push in miniture, fairly straight forward to get to with a couple of screw drivers there is a large green plastic shroud on the back section of the panel and its located behind here! there are 2 little notches that you need to lever out gentley as they break off you should then see the bulb...T:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply mate. Its strange because the dial in middle lights up really green but the 2 either side of it are really dull, thats why I thought there may be more then one bulb. I'll take it off and have a look.
Thanks *<:)>T:

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are clear plastic steams the go off in the directions of the the various dials make sure they are connected and also they are clean so the light can pass through...looked and my spare last night and its only the one bulb...T:

I will try get some pics up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup just done mine with a white led and a resistor. Don't know what type, I just asked a clever chap at maplins . It's a bit of a squeeze but with some fettling it fits nice . Can't wait for it to get dark so I can have a proper look but can already tell its much brighter

·
Registered
558 Posts
just noticed mine are out.........

is it a screwdriver each side of the heater control panel the pop out???
thx

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find the best way to access this panel is to

remove the blanks next to the radio,
then remove the ash tray & surrounds,
Now remove the dials panel,
You now should be able to see the 4 retaining screws that hold the switches in place.

I have found a plastic bike tyre lever is the best tool to you, as it does not mark the plastic finish.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Mike.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yep, gently prise off the dummy panel left side- tab on rhs - then large dial cover & undo all the screws you can see, releasing ashtray allows the heater unit to move, whole green bulb holder unit unclips (fiddly)
there's only one bulb, the design for distributing the light (via plastic pathways) to the side dials is poor, think most find them dull. thought of putting extra bulbs behind them but rear not clear.

we sawed the green surround off (similarly on instrument panel removed green filter strip) so dials are white & brighter, ord bulbs are t5 286 1.2w wedge, anything stronger might overheat. no such problem with led's but we find generally not as bright. + trouble with most leds is they tend to emit light forwards but the lightways come off from the side.
GL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I ordered a few red 286 1.2w bulbs from ebay. Fitted one into the heater control last night, was a simple enough job and didn't have to take the whole unit out. Two of the dials are not lighting up though, are they illuminated seperately by another bulb in the unit? I thought there was just the one bulb in the centre?

As you can see the centre dial is lighting up, as is the two smaller dials on the top. But the dial to the left and right are not lighting up...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts