VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn the rotary knob nothing happens! If I turn the AC on, the AC light comes on when the fan is in the on positions, (1,2,3,4) and off when the fan knob is set to 0.
So I guess the problem is not at the knob.

All the fuses in the dash and engine bay are fine.

Next place to look is the fan itself, but I don't know where it is. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
The fan is refreshingly easy and straightforward to get at, I took mine out a few days ago to remove a dead leaf which was making a ticking sound as the fan rotated.

1. Remove the glove box from the top of the dash, there are a few visible torx screws and a few more hidden under some covers. This lets you see all the workings from above. The fan is inside the dome shaped black moulding on the left. I assume the one to the right houses the heater matrix.
2. Remove the plastic cover beneath the dash, the one above the passenger foot well (more torx screws). You should now be able to see the 6 torx screws that hold the fan in its housing.
3. To get at the screws on the front (as you look at it) you need need to move the front dash panel out of the way. This requires prising off the end cap of the dash, the in-fill panel where the air bag would be and taking off the net thing too. This should allow you to pop out the panel enough without having to get the gear lever surround and cup holders etc out.
4. Working from above i.e. hands through the glove box hole, release the latch on the wiring connector on the fan. If I remember correctly there are only two wires implying that speed control is done elsewhere.
5. From below, you can now unscrew the 6 torx screws and lower the fan and motor from behind the dash.
6. Famous last words - assembly is the reverse of removal.

It really is easier that it sounds - I've done three or four heater/fans over the years and this was by miles the simplest.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully it will just be a loose connection onto the fan. But normally things aren't that simple!

I have a passenger airbag so I guess it will be more difficult? Oh well, I'll see!
Cheers

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've taken the cable connector off the fan, and put a voltmeter across the ends. There are 4 wires going into the fan. I am getting 11.8V or 0 across each connector, depending on which fan setting the knob is pointing to.

So... obviously the knob is working and there is voltage to the fan. Therefore am I right to assume it is the fan that is faulty? I've checked all the fuses, (apart from the ones underneath the battery) and they are fine. Is there something else I am missing before I order a new fan??

Many thanks
Rich

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pull the fan out and apply 12V directly to the motor. If you can't get it to work then you have probably confirmed where the fault lies.

Regards - Alastair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts