VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heater in my 2001 T4 has a problem I can't see in the search bar... It takes over 10 minutes to warm up at all and when I turn up the dash fan control it goes cold again.

Please help I'm freezing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
As we know, the cooling system on modern cars is fairly straightforward. A network of passages carries liquid antifreeze/coolant around the hotter parts of the engine. The coolant is forced around the passages by a water pump. A thermostat prevents the coolant from flowing until the motor gets warm enough. Rubber hoses carry the coolant from the motor to the radiator, and also to the heater core, which is basically a smaller radiator under the dashboard.
The radiator uses the outside air and a fan to cool the fluid in the system, while the heater core uses the heat from the coolant and a fan to warm the air inside the car.
So If the temperature gauge isn't moving much from the lowest reading, or the car runs poorly for more than a few minutes on a cold day, the cooling system may not be working properly. There are a few potential culprits for why your car engine coolant may not be heating up:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply although I'm still none the wiser. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and could share what they did to remedy it?
The T4 runs fine apart from the heating problem... after a few miles there is warm/hot air coming from the vents but when the fan is switched on the air becomes cooler. It's a real problem in winter as it takes about 20 minutes to defrost the windscreen before I can drive anywhere.
Could the thermostat be stuck or maybe a fault code problem?

any ideas gratefully received

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possible cause of heating problem is maybe you have a blocked radiator, cracked cooling system, botched water pump, or a bad thermostat. please kindly check out for those faults that have just mentioned above...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Denis, The heating system has been like this for a couple of years and I've just put up with it. The temperature gauge never goes above the half way point and the engine has never overheated. Before I spend out on a mechanic to check the other things you mention could it be something else like a fault code problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts