VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just bought my 1st T5, 2006 lwb kombi conversion, and wish to put glass into the solid tailgate.

I have a couple of questions, can you possibly advise me gents?

I definitely want a Heated rear window and have seen some info on this, I think it's realistic and a good auto electrician should be able to help me, unless anyone knows if there is an aftermarket kit which I can buy to wire it up?

I also like the idea of having a rear wash wipe and again have seen info on this, it does seem however to be a bit more complicated and I'm not sure whether it's really worth the effort or cost effective?

Basically not sure whether to get heated tailgate glass fitted, with or without hole for wash wipe!

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, I live in Newcastle but could travel if anyone can recommend someone who can help me.

Many thanks in advance!:):)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Would it be cheaper / easier to buy a replacement tailgate (complete with everything you want) and then selling yours after swapping over? If you could get one the same colour it might work out ok?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have got a used genuine heated rear tailgate window with the hole for wash wipe.

part no: 7H5 845 503 BP

would take £90 for it and i'm just down the road in Washington.

Paul

·
Registered
896 Posts
didn't mean to press submit button so quick :D

Is the rear heated window switch not part of the heater control switch??

would you not have to change the full heater control unit??

just fitted rear barn door glass with the rear heater element in but not had a chance to
check for a solution, I guess it's there if I need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Benfinlayson, thanks for the advice, yes it's crossed my mind but haven't seen the right colour yet!

It would seem easier, but I would still need to wire everything up as the wiring isn't in place (as it's not a factory Kombi) so I'm led to believe.

Cheers Toon T5

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul, thanks for the offer, the van I've got has had side windows in Privacy glass fitted, they look a bit darker than your original tint.

I'd want to have glass in privacy all round if possible, think / hope the heated rear window operates off a separate dashboard switch.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
896 Posts
Understandable wanting the same colour tint. I bought van doc tinted rear windows then got a set of original vw tinted side sliding windows so had to go and buy vw original rear windows to match I:

Now got more glass then pilkingtons :D

Just had a look at some heater controls I bought when thinking about going for aircon and this has the heated rear window button built in.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul, I'm still no further forward re with / without hole for tailgate glass, as not sure if cost of fitting a wash wipe is justified and to complex to do?

Anyway, hopefully someone can enlighten me soon.

I did like the Pilkington glass comment, good stuff!A:LOL:

Cheers
Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts