VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a lot of people having problems with the early T4 heater only working on certain speeds.

One of the common faults is the heater resistors but that wasn't the problem with mine.

I thought id post this up showing how i fixed mine.

My heater didn't work on certain speeds but i noticed if i pushed the switch in (put pressure on the dial), the fan started blowing.

So heres how i fixed it

(i don't mean to be patronising with this, but i've broken it right down for people that have never touched a car before)

Take out the heater panel - To do this you need to pull the sliders out (they can be tight but they do come out) and the the panel should clip out. Remove the 2 blocks of wires

Pull the dial out and then flip over the panel and push the switch up to release it

Pop off the back (may require a small flat screwdriver to prise it out)

You're left with this rotating arm with and a set of points which make different circuits for different fan speeds

With mine, i could see that the arm and points were quite worn so i gently bent the arms forward so they would make better contact with the points.

Re-assemble the switch and try it in the van. Dont put it back in the panel, just plug the switch back into the round block and try it. The first time it didn't cure it but i had to put a lot less pressure on it to make a contact so i split the switch and bent them a tad more. This time it worked perfectly.

Once/if you're happy, put it all back together and refit in the van.

This might not be your problem but it cured mine. Also, these switches can be picked up fairly cheap on ebay so if you can't be bothered then just replace the swicth. Presonally, i like taking things to bits to see how they work and in doing so, saved myself at least a fiver T:

·
Registered
233 Posts
hum hum a day after i go out and buy a new switch but hey presto it was only 6.75 delivered from ebay bargain saves a lot of flaffing arround im happy ;)Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:Rasp:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks for this, i tried but failed. My heating stopped before i took dash out, was convinced it was the blower motor, so i got a very cheap bargain off the bay for £6, it included the motor and matrix, as i have just resprayed the dash, i took the opportunity to replace both the matrix and blower. Didnt fix the problem :confused:

Took my switch apart as above, lightly polished all copper terminals for better conductivity, and bent switch arms, stilL, nothing. So I visited me breakers thinking now i needed a heater control relay, but, we tried a switch, and bingo it worked! Upset me really as it showed my switch fettling hadn't worked, still i got the whole part, switch, plastic surround everything for a tenner T:

Wasn't happy so tried to get my old switch working, fettled more, now i know its the switch, and they are simple so i perservered. My mate also gimme his old broken switch ( found in his ashtray when we bought his van) now this one worked when you push down on the switch, it was then i realised its spring loaded meaning it can sit high, and low as it moves over the copper plates :)

So the spring had gone on mine, and tbh, after all that just spend £6.50 from JK herehttp://www.justkampers.com/shop/t4/original-parts/vehicle-electrics/blower-motor-switch-j10727.html for a new switch!! Or pm me and i will send you my broken ones LOL:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
haha at least its fixed eh mate LOL: you lot must be made of money though... 'just buy a new swicth' pft I:
Im determined to fix my old ones then ebay them to fund the new one!

Driving in the rain on the motorway, with the windows down to stop them steaming up aint fun i tell ya! Thats when you buy/fix this damn switch, dont make do without or be prepared to get wet:D

·
Registered
907 Posts
Looks like I got the same problem, but exactly how do you pull the sliders out, or more to the point - how are the fixed in place? I don't want to do any damage by just yanking them hard!

Any help would be appreciated,
Geoff

·
Registered
907 Posts
Looks like I got the same problem, but exactly how do you pull the sliders out, or more to the point - how are the fixed in place? I don't want to do any damage by just yanking them hard!

Geoff
No-one able to help with this question? :*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi i tried this before winter set in and managed to get blast on no.4 and go off on the full blast im ok for that for now VW have stopped making the 4/5 knotch switch Ill pull mine apart again some time soon and have another go The plastic around the contact seams to have melted and the 3 tiny springs jam in thier holes.If its too far gone to fix properly can i swap it overwith the 3 way switch ? What about the wiring ?
Livin in me bus and lovin it yours murray

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Thanks for this, i tried but failed. My heating stopped before i took dash out, was convinced it was the blower motor, so i got a very cheap bargain off the bay for £6, it included the motor and matrix, as i have just resprayed the dash, i took the opportunity to replace both the matrix and blower. Didnt fix the problem :confused:

Took my switch apart as above, lightly polished all copper terminals for better conductivity, and bent switch arms, stilL, nothing. So I visited me breakers thinking now i needed a heater control relay, but, we tried a switch, and bingo it worked! Upset me really as it showed my switch fettling hadn't worked, still i got the whole part, switch, plastic surround everything for a tenner T:

Wasn't happy so tried to get my old switch working, fettled more, now i know its the switch, and they are simple so i perservered. My mate also gimme his old broken switch ( found in his ashtray when we bought his van) now this one worked when you push down on the switch, it was then i realised its spring loaded meaning it can sit high, and low as it moves over the copper plates :)

So the spring had gone on mine, and tbh, after all that just spend £6.50 from JK herehttp://www.justkampers.com/shop/t4/original-parts/vehicle-electrics/blower-motor-switch-j10727.html for a new switch!! Or pm me and i will send you my broken ones LOL:

The one on Just Kampers at the mo has four connections on the back, mine has five :confused:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
mine went a while ago, when i took the switch apart it was had just fallen apart inside, it was junked

so i ordered a new one, it arrived and the knob bit was too short, so i had to mount mine on a switch panel next to the old switch,

working fine now, just a shame i have 2 controllers

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
had same problem, running on #4 only; changed resistor to no effect then found this useful thread

bit fiddly, still cant get all 4 positions working, but now have 2 & 4 T:

inside, the rotating contact has 2 arms, feeding 1&3 and 2&4 respectively

it's a bit fiddly to adjust 1 arm without then moving the other arm out of contact, or indeed the live feed contact out of touch

edit June 2014 - bought a new switch body, 5 minute job, plug n play, all 4 speeds working again :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Noticed a lot of people having problems with the early T4 heater only working on certain speeds.

One of the common faults is the heater resistors but that wasn't the problem with mine.

I thought id post this up showing how i fixed mine.

My heater didn't work on certain speeds but i noticed if i pushed the switch in (put pressure on the dial), the fan started blowing.

So heres how i fixed it

(i don't mean to be patronising with this, but i've broken it right down for people that have never touched a car before)

Take out the heater panel - To do this you need to pull the sliders out (they can be tight but they do come out) and the the panel should clip out. Remove the 2 blocks of wires

Pull the dial out and then flip over the panel and push the switch up to release it

Pop off the back (may require a small flat screwdriver to prise it out)

You're left with this rotating arm with and a set of points which make different circuits for different fan speeds

With mine, i could see that the arm and points were quite worn so i gently bent the arms forward so they would make better contact with the points.

Re-assemble the switch and try it in the van. Dont put it back in the panel, just plug the switch back into the round block and try it. The first time it didn't cure it but i had to put a lot less pressure on it to make a contact so i split the switch and bent them a tad more. This time it worked perfectly.

Once/if you're happy, put it all back together and refit in the van.

This might not be your problem but it cured mine. Also, these switches can be picked up fairly cheap on ebay so if you can't be bothered then just replace the swicth. Presonally, i like taking things to bits to see how they work and in doing so, saved myself at least a fiver T:
Fantastic advice...especially helpful were the pictures. I wasn't brave enough to tackle the job until I'd sourced a replacement (VW UK near Heathrow), but then had a go and...(after a lot of faffing about) IT WORKS!! Only on 2 settings, but that means I can go away for my planned week in September, even if the spare part hasn't shown up. It's still bloody hot down here in the South of France and no way would you want to go anywhere without a blower, let alone the air con. Thanks again!! A:

·
Registered
29 Posts

Geoff
Pliers...and don't be wimpy! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys.. I have just had my blower stop working on me. I have powered the fan via battery, which worked! So I bought a new resistor (nothing) and even checked the fuse's, yet still nothing!! Anyone have idea's?

·
Registered
268 Posts
any ideas which sequence the wires go on on the switch as previous owner has cut the connector of and i now have 5 separate wires need the sequence or a picture so i can see where they go as winter fast aproaching

1 - 20 of 31 Posts