VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have searched a lot (as I'm sure most OP's do, and I await the posts I missed....) but not seen much to answer my question. I am planning on using my van for trips to the Alps, therefor I am looking at installing a heater. I planned on installing a propex one, probably a HS2000, as it appears from most posts to be a quieter option (please tell me if I'm wrong with that). The problems I have read about is Propex not retaining the pressure needed at temperatures below 0'C and I can only imagine altitude will compound that problem.

Does anyone have any experience of this that would help me out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,512 Posts
I've no direct experience of a Propex at altitude, but in terms of temperature, you just need to be sure you are running it on Propane and not Butane, because the latter does not provide adequate pressure for most appliances below about 4 degrees.

I ~think~ from a theoretical point of view, altitude will help rather than harm performance (because the pressure difference between tank content and the outside air will be slightly higher) but as I said, I don't have direct experience of that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've used my diesel Webasto when camping at 3000m altitude and -15 in the Alps and not had any problems at all.
It's extremely quiet too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've used my diesel Webasto when camping at 3000m altitude and -15 in the Alps and not had any problems at all.
3000m? Not many roads over 2300m yes I suppose you can sneak up the ski area roads in Cervinia and get to almost that altitude?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I might go for the diesel option to be honest, seems to me that most conversions go for this and there must be a reason!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts