VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've last posted on here I've had my t5 converted but I'm going to have a remodel since purchasing a t4 just for work use. I have insulated the van to keep the heat in but I need some sort of heating! What's the best thing to put in?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a diesel heater is the better option then I had been looking at a propex heater though due to cost but I might be better off saving up a bit more

·
Registered
563 Posts
Think of it this way. You will have to monitor your gas supply and ensure you keep a stock so you don't run out on that cold night. With a eber you never have to worry as you fill the van up anyway, unless of course you are one of those who run there van on the redline. Myself I never go below half a tank before filling so should never be a problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi I had a propex heater fitted in my T5. The reason that I chose this option, instead of a diesel heater, was that I would not have to keep a gas bottle under the sink in the van - clearing that space left room for a Porta Potti 135.
I did not have room to carry a spare gas bottle so it was always a concern that the gas could run out, plus the bottles of gas are very expensive.

Now with the LPG tank under the floor there is a thermostat and a gas volume indicator (row of LED's) inside the van. I filled the LPG tank when it was fitted (last Septmber) at a cost of £8.50 - I have been using the heater and cooker since then and the indicator still shows full gas.

It is possible that the the diesel heaters are hotter than the gas heaters. I don't know as I cannot compare - I can say that in cold weather my heater has to be on for about 15 minutes to start to warm up the interior and maybe half an hour to feel quite warm.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi I had a propex heater fitted in my T5. The reason that I chose this option, instead of a diesel heater, was that I would not have to keep a gas bottle under the sink in the van - clearing that space left room for a Porta Potti 135.
I did not have room to carry a spare gas bottle so it was always a concern that the gas could run out, plus the bottles of gas are very expensive.

Now with the LPG tank under the floor there is a thermostat and a gas volume indicator (row of LED's) inside the van. I filled the LPG tank when it was fitted (last Septmber) at a cost of £8.50 - I have been using the heater and cooker since then and the indicator still shows full gas.

It is possible that the the diesel heaters are hotter than the gas heaters. I don't know as I cannot compare - I can say that in cold weather my heater has to be on for about 15 minutes to start to warm up the interior and maybe half an hour to feel quite warm.
Sorry to hijack thread BUT I am interested in where your LPG tank is fitted and what 'brand' it is please. When I was looking for one I couldn't find one that would fit under van. Many thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi
I had the heater fitted by Propexheatsource in Ringwood, Hants. They advertise regularly in VWt magazine.
The LPG tank is fitted underneath in the centre of the van - just in front of the spare wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi
I had the heater fitted by Propexheatsource in Ringwood, Hants. They advertise regularly in VWt magazine.
The LPG tank is fitted underneath in the centre of the van - just in front of the spare wheel.
Sorry for the hijack . Can you tell us the cost all in ,size of tank and where you put the filler for the tank ?

Ta Drew

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Sorry for the late reply - the total cost was £999 this included making a hole through under the drivers seat as the heater is fitted underneath. You also get a thermostat and an LED gas volume indicator. It may be possible to fit the heater inside the van, but then you would still need a hole for the gas exhaust.
In their ads Propex say that the tank is 12 litres but on my invoice it says Cylinder Tank 15L.

The filler nozzle is fitted by the tow hook at the rear, it is a push and twist connector (like a bayonet fitting). This seems to be the usual LPG fitting.
It's not cheap (like most VW Transporter stuff) but a Diesel heater is similar if it is fitted by someone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Eberspacher goes up to 32c but you only need it on 15c and even that is too warm for me, they fit under the drivers seat and take up very little space, it is the best thing I have bought for the van.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Sorry for the late reply - the total cost was £999 this included making a hole through under the drivers seat as the heater is fitted underneath. You also get a thermostat and an LED gas volume indicator. It may be possible to fit the heater inside the van, but then you would still need a hole for the gas exhaust.
In their ads Propex say that the tank is 12 litres but on my invoice it says Cylinder Tank 15L.

The filler nozzle is fitted by the tow hook at the rear, it is a push and twist connector (like a bayonet fitting). This seems to be the usual LPG fitting.
It's not cheap (like most VW Transporter stuff) but a Diesel heater is similar if it is fitted by someone.
Thanks for that as its gives another option .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts