VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , new to site having purchased a t4 autosleeper. Lady selling it informed me that she broke down recently and that green flag found the spark plugs were wet . I just plugged a code reader in and have a fault code 00522 engine coolant temp sensor G62 sporadic fault. Anyone know which sensor this is likely to be ? Also where it is likely to be found on the engine ?
Thanks as any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Hi Captn I saw your post but was waiting for others to answer as it seems you have a petrol engine whereas I only know about the diesel T4s. welcome to the forum, as a general comment, pls be sure to post engine type in all queries. anyway, hoping others can chip in here, but the coolant sensor on the diesels is generally located on the front of the cylinder head, towards the LH end, the petrol maybe the same.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I would think the sensor is somewhere around the thermostat. In my VR6 there was a group of 3 sensors on the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I would think the sensor is somewhere around the thermostat. In my VR6 there was a group of 3 sensors on the thermostat housing.
on the inline engines (petrol & diesel) the coolant temperaterature sensors are on the coolant manifold fitted on the (side) of the cylinder head.

hard to see as the engines lean foreward towards the radiator.

a quick google search found thisI:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249304

Rich.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for advice been searching for any info, think the two pin connector is located directly in front of the 4 pin connector on the front of the engine . Definitely see the plastic clip holding in the sensor . Will update as things progress!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a conclusion to this thread. New Two pin sensor fitted. I screwed a plastic bag into the expansion chamber to form a vacuum and removed the old sensor and O ring with minimal coolant loss. Cleared all the old history from memory chip and run it for 5 miles at temperature and all seems fine .
The sensor i fitted had a part number 929vg0140 and was blue the old was black and appears to be original .
Also engine is AAC 2.0 petrol . ?

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
thanks for the update - glad to hear you've got it sorted and all's well again. Im interested in the 'bag in expansion chamber' method, never heard of this before but sounds useful, wondering could you pls elaborate on the technique for the uninitiated ? thinking it might help to limit coolant loss in a thermostat change ive got to do sometime (car not van). but maybe it wont. I:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unscrew the expansion cover , place a bag over the hole and screw the cover back down to form a seal . Inside the lid it is vented to stop a vacuum from forming when running so don’t forget to remove when finished. Works on the same principle of filling a pipe with water and holding a thumb over the end as soon as you lift thumb all fluid runs out .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after driving around a bit further I got a bit ambitious and decided to change the 4 pin sensor as well as I had already purchase it . Fitted new sensor and now motor won’t start! Engine turns over but will not fire. decided to change distributor cap and rotor, changed cap but can’t remove rotor arm and I’m pulling hard . Having read that the AAC has problems with Coil traced lead under battery tray but how much have you got to strip our to get at it and where is it ? Any help much appreciated will probably start another thread to help resolve Issues .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts