VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been lurking but probably about to get a T4 - I'm up in Aberdeen

Have a bit of a dilemma - the van I'm interested in has a full width r&r bed and one front passenger seat. Ideally I'm looking to accommodate a third person. Which to my mind gives me three choices (and their own unique problems!)

1) Get a front bench seat - however, most on ebay are collection only due to weight, and all seem to be the opposite end of the UK to me! :(

2) Remove the full width bed and fit a 3/4 (as probably will want to fit units at some stage) with seat belts - question - full width fixing points as opposed to 3/4 fixing points? One and the same? (not 100% sure how current bed is fitted?)

3) Get rear seat belts retro fitted?

Is there anyone in Aberdeen (or Central Belt I guess) who could help out with any of the above choices? And has anyone any thoughts on best option?

Loads to learn still - cheers for now - J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no - that looks lovely though - no mine is a 1998 on an S plate with just a bed and a battery/split relay in the back

Hey, being ABZ based, you know anyone good for my seat belt dilemma? I've spoke to a guy at Castlepark Autobody in Ellon who has been very helpful so far, but needs to see if they can get the belts before taking a look?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If your thinking of retro fitting belts to the r'n'r I'd be very careful in doing it - 99% of r'n'rs aren't crash/pull tested so adding belts could cause issues if you're in a crash... as in your passengers could get seriously injured/killed by the bed colasping under the pressure.... getting the belts shouldn't be an issue - any bed supplier will be able to source a set for you (think there around £80 a pop....) BUT the quality of beds out there vary by huge amounts - saw one on ebay made out of wood with belts!! and this one really sticks in my mind...
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=163975

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

cheers for that - I'm more inclined to try and get belts fitted to the C pillar is anything and the floor.

thanks for link too :(

jason

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ sorry that didn't work as planned!

So, finally picked up this van from a lovely guy and his wife in Dufftown, Aberdeenshire - me and the missus went for a week's hols in Findhorn Bay and area last week - great to have a camper again (had a lovely late Bay 8 years ago I regretted selling the moment I sold it!)

So, plenty of little things I want to do to put my personal stamp on it, but great as it is just now to

cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaseybaby2002/7866062084/

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
looks nice bro - might have seen your backend (ermmm?!?! - lol) near Forresterhill hospital the other day??

how you getting on with the seat dilema??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts