VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So the dream has come true and i can afford my first Transporter! LOL:

I do need help though! i dont know wether to get a LWB or SWB so im going to be truthfully honest and have what i believe are the pros and cons:

LWB = Pros: The Dream, More room for me and the mountain bikes to be locked inside while i sleep.
Cons: cost quite a bit more, leaves me less money to convert with, not as practical, only be camping with two people max.

SWB = Pros: Alot cheaper, More practical, More money to convert, more practical.
Cons: less room.

I just need to know wether or not people who have bought an SWB regretted it due to the space or is it simply the way that you convert the van.

Many thanks and please give me any hints and tips, Van conversion places and experiences, also pics of what you have done both SWB and LWB.

Thanks guys so excited, ive waited for years!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
swb no regrets.just the wife and I,although she wants a dog.it will be another jack russel eventually.
lwb pain in for day to day use,only my opinion!!
swb bike rack and padlock,keeps inside tidy.
happy biking and await more opinions and be completely confused:):):):):)
I:I:I:I:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I find the SWB is fine for two, also easier to park.
I've got furniture down one side & a 3/4 rock & roll bed, also a swivel double front seat which makes it feel quite spacious. :ILU:

·
Registered
661 Posts
LWB, I've got a full conversion inside and can still store my bike between the front seats and rear seats while traveling and just removed the front wheel when I sleep to store it inside. Also parking the LWB isn't hard its only 400mm longer and is flat backed and you can easily see the rear corners in the wing mirrors. Doesn't get much easier than that on any vehicle. Although if you do end up with a LWB and you are concerned just fit parking sensors or a reversing camera. Biking is the only reason I got the LWB so it all up to what you need.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LWB, I've got a full conversion inside and can still store my bike between the front seats and rear seats while traveling and just removed the front wheel when I sleep to store it inside. Also parking the LWB isn't hard its only 400mm longer and is flat backed and you can easily see the rear corners in the wing mirrors. Doesn't get much easier than that on any vehicle. Although if you do end up with a LWB and you are concerned just fit parking sensors or a reversing camera. Biking is the only reason I got the LWB so it all up to what you need.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I think for what id use it for is really the camping and Mountain biking competitions. So LWB it is, does anyone know any good Campervan conversion companies in the South I've seen Action van who seem to know what i want and have great experience in the mountain bike side.

MESMmack do you have any photos of your van i can see? Who do you use to convert?

Thanks mate

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
lwb is the way forward T:T: my mate has had 3 swb and wish he could find a nice lwb to convert ....take a look on my profile :D:D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's down to personal preference - you'll find its a pretty split vote. We've got a SWB and it works fine - fits into supermarket spaces just right, a bit easier to manoeuvre, enough space for 2+Labrador but the LWB does give you a couple of extra feet inside what is a tight space, and the LWB is not so long as to be confined to commercial places. We occasionally think about changing for a LWB but then realise the benefits of the SWB - there is no definitive answer.

There's also an element of which looks the better and again that's down to personal preference....but I'm not going there having seen some previous posts and comments on similar threads!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I was looking for a SWB until I found my LWB - TBH, it's a LWB for me now - period.

I does stick out a bit in supermarket/MSCP's but it's not in my way & you do get used to parking it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't mate I will get you one at the weekend when I do the finishing touches. I did it myself. I bought a flat pack kit from Evo Motion Design and did everything else myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MESMack photos would be great and any hints tips and links to where you bought all the insulation and carpet lining would be awesome.

Cheers guys i didn't realise the vote would be so split but i've gone for the LWB just for the fact that i can sleep in the van with my bikes.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
You wont regret LWB at all. Our t4 was swb and I'm pleased to say the t5 is LWB. Camping / mtb / surfing etc that bit of extra space makes all the difference.
Occasionally have to drive past small parking spaces, but not often and usually we are headed somewhere with plenty space !
Enjoy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys!

I bought it, i bought a LWB Reflex Silver 2011 plate, Hes called Donkey and by this time next year he'll be a Stallion Baby!! hahaha

Cheers for your help guys!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts