VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

im new to the forum and also vans. very useful forum, ive learnt plenty already. i want a t4 to use as my day to day drive for work and maybe some holidays somewhere down the line. been looking very hard but as my buget is very small im struggling because of the high demand. i have seen a 2.5 petrol auto with 135 k on the clock. i know everyone says stay clear of the auto but ive read a little about the mexican box being the issue. i think that was on models 96 on and the van ive seen is 94 so could that mean its a more reliable unit. does anyone ahve any info in the early automatic transmissions? any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
hi there, the problem with the box is universal not specific to the year. The general problem is that is overheats and the stock cooler is woeful.

You can upgrade the cooler to compensate for this problem, i am currently undergoing a cooler upgrade as are a few other members. There is loads more info if you subscribe, also loads of other benefits, discounts etc.

Welcome to the the forum!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jim seems you are the resident auto expert reading some of the past posts lol. thats a shame as i was hopin maybe for some good news like a different model box was better. wishful thinking. going to look into subscribing now. could you hazard a guess at the value of a 1994 2.5 pertol auto 135k decent in resonable condition?

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
It all depends on the condition but the earlier versions are cheaper for sure, also the whole deal can swing on the condition of the gearbox, If the box has'nt been maintained with regular ATF changes.

Does it have fsh? If so has it had ATF changes? Might be worth giving it a good health check AA,. Also the earlier gearboxes had dipsticks on them so you can check the condition of the oil in the uni at the moment, i.e. check for burnt smell and visible condition. Do AA health checks includes error codes from the a VAGCOM or similar??

If its a deal through a motrtrader make sure you get any warranty for any mileage in wiritting and specify whether it includes the gearbox.

i presume that it is a 2.5 petrol caravelle? If the gearbox is good i think it might be worth 2000-3000? does that sound about right? Remember though if the gearbox isn't good, it's practically a right off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not a caravelle i dont think. just a panel van. i have yet to view it in person which i plan to do so cant comment too much in detail. i will be sure to ask plenty about service history an oil changes on the box. makes me wish i bought the van on ebay which ended saturady lookin at those prices. it was a 96 2.5 auto petrol with lpg 120k went for 1650 but that was with not service history at all an i felt it was a gamble considering the the comments made on here about autos.

btw just to add. i dont particularly want an auto just im pretty desperate for a van and there are very few for sale local to me (sheffield) and im considering everything

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
If you did get a cheap auto, you could be on to a winner, if it does break at any time it will cost approx 2000 for a new auto box, maybe 1000 to convert it to a manual. I am not saying it will happen, with any luck it will be as sound as a pound.

What are you planning to do with it, camp, work, surf etc?

If it were me, and i only wish someone had given me this advice when i was in your position and bought a cheap auto. i would get something like this.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36221

Then look to personalise it along the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want it for work mostly. im a electrical contractor an it would be very handy for that. also im renovating a house and need a more practical mode of transport. the current car alfa gtv (which is for sale btw to anyone who wants 1 lol) totally useless at doing anything but lookin nice and driving nice. what attracted me to the 2 vans mentioned was the 2.5 petrol engine. i do a fair amount of miles but not huge and the van will be my only mode of transport. i didnt wanna get a low end diesel and be constantly frustrated by its performance and a 2.5 tdi is pretty much no chance in my price range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts