VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - ive been around VW"s for years and decided a while ago that a more practical bus was the way forward - I have a bay window and a 65 samba that I am resoring .

Anyway this interest has resulted in a purchase of my first watercooled VW in 15 years !!

will only be used as a weekend toy - camping at shows mainly , so ecomomy not an issue - hence the VR6 - it does sound nice !!

Hoping to hit it with the lowering stick over the weekend .

Not sure about the wheels - half fancy keeping these if hey are original .

Will admit I know nothing about these cars so plenty of questions to follow .

Just glad to be on board at last

thanks for looking - Jon

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice bus and it should go well and so smooth. T:

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
nice van show us the oldies:ILU::ILU:
thinkin about goin the opposite way looking for a beetle again instead of van maybe 2ltr+ this time would like a good 1/4 mile time lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys .

Loving the whole T4 thing - went out for a drive yesterday doing a few jobs and what a pleasure to drive . VR6 is very smooth and auto box helps.

Found the lowering stick at the back of the garage in the form of a 27mm ring spanner . so adjusted torsions at the front and a friend had a set of lowered springs for the back - Cheers Mark " oldskool "

How simple is that compared to my split - Adjustable wishbone off a 911 and the bay - narrowed etc -- 2 hours and not even got my hands dirty " much "

Thought I might have a few problems - the main one being the fact it does not want to start every time - Driving past VW yesterday and picked up a new switch for the ignition on a return basis if it wasnt needed . Had a look behind the dash and found a few loose wires and took out an old phone kit - changed the switch and thats done it - starts on the button every time - Thanks for the help reading various threads on here .

I also seem to have some water escaping - but having taken the engine pan off and ran until hot it shows no sign of loosing water from the coolant system - put it down to condensate from the air con .

Stereo now works and all speakers connected - someone put new pioneer speakers in then didnt connect them !!!!!!

The next thing I have found is I have two batteries - one under the hood and one under the drivers seat - connected by factory wiring and relay etc - I think this ran some sort of lift in the past - charges whilst driving . Picture below

The battery is not used for anything at present but I guess I wont struggle to find a power supply in the back .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts