VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm on the lookout for sub-€1.5k T4 for a DIY camper conversion.

Any buying advice, recommendations etc. would be greatly appreciated.

1.9tdi, 2.4 straight or 2.5tdi?

SWB or LWB?

Long-nose, Short-nose, who knows? :)

Any major problems/issues to look out for?

Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums

Look in the Irish section there are a few guys north and south selling vans , caravelles and multivans

Everyone on here has different opinions on what what engine is best , but in my opinion 2.5 tdi is best

Swb are easier to park in the high street, Lwb can pack more in in a conversion

Long nose in my opinion look more modern but short nose is the classic t4 shape, long nose also gives you a bit more room in engine bay for when things go wrong...

What to look for? Well the 2.5 will be good for at least 300k so don't let anything over 100k put you off, service history is good , recent belts and pumps is a bonus...

Look for blue smoke on start up , indicates engine probs
Listen for knocks n rattles, but most are cheep to fix like bottom ball joints track rod ends etc, some can be a bit more expensive like top ball joints , cv joints etc

Check also for clutch wear and flywheel wear , they can cost a small fortune to replace , so if the one your trying is slipping or are getting strange noises from that area your gonna have to factor in the cost of a change and I've had quotes from VW and independents and got prices from £500 to £1000

Good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lads, my plan is to buy a van and carry out the conversion myself, to help keep costs manageable!

There's plenty of vans for sale over here on dungdeal etc, but quite a few are ex-builder's wagons that have had seven shades of 5hit beaten out of them on construction sites over the years.

The van will be my semi-daily while the conversion is ongoing also, as I have a Mk2 Gti project on the go as well.

I'm just looking for pointers on what to watch out for on T4's, as I've already done a small conversion on an Inca van as a camping runabout, with sound-proofing, insulation, ply-lining etc.

It's been so useful that we decided a T4 is next o the cards and its time to play with the big boys now! HAHA

I'm torn between the handiness of a SWB 1.9td for daily use due to its length, and the benefits of getting a 2.5tdi LWB for the extra space in a conversion!

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
dude when u see the right van you will know its the one for you, but to be honest your budget is going to dictate what van you get, for that money id say it would be a 1.9 or a 2.4 o

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, I just got very lucky this weekend.

found a shortnose 2000 2.5tdi within my budget for sale by an absolute gent named Dave, who's a big T25 fan, pleasure to talk to and do business with.

theres no intercooler on top, so I'm guessing she's an 88bhp model?

picking her up next week, so looking forward to whats gonna be my most ambitious project yet!

body has some small patches of surface rust but the mechanical end od things seems fine.

have been looking through these forums for hints and tips and ideas...I have to say I'm blown away by the friendliness and helpfulness of people here!

be prepared for lots of questions from me in the coming months!

the plan is to complete a camper conversion over the winter and take a trans-european roadtrip next summer for a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts