VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, having persuaded the mrs that we NEED a vw camper, I am looking to stile while the iron is hot!

We have our eye on a R plate converted Caravelle, it has the rock and roll bed, sink and cooker unit and all carpeted etc. It has 240 hook up but no leisure battery and obviousl no blown air system.

For any of you that own a caravelle, is it big enough inside or do you find yourself crouching, would I need a fridge fitted? I was thinking of using a powered cool box?

It's. 2.4D anyone else run the 2.4? is it economical? Or one to avoid?

Many thanks in advance!

IanT:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
If U are in no hurry (!!) U could go for the 2.4
Very soon I will be shouted at again, as quite a few on here have tweaked them with turbos etc -> Fair enough

If U can; At least go for the more modern 2.5Tdi 102HpT:

As for cool boxes; Look for Engel or ARB Fridge Freezer ;) Take a deep breath up front

There is no list of what U NEED as that is defined by U & whatever U intend to do with the van:)

There is no problem spending a fairly high 5-digit sum on U`r new ventureA:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I agree with Jefe...:)

I had a 2.4D Caravelle for 10 years. Loved it to bits, but once you have had the 2.5tdi you would not go back. :D

Some have added turbo to the 2.4 but I have had mine overheat pushing across France. So not sure a turbo is the answer unless you still aim to cruise easy.

I now run since new an 11 year old Multivan 2.5tdi. The full size bed is fine, but you are short on space. You will need to have an awning / tent for day time if away for a long holiday. But on its own in fair weather you would be fine for a night or two.

The 2.4D will be fine. Just slower.

Good luck...am sure others have thoughts for you...T:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I am going to see the van in question on Monday, I could get it for under 6k which appeals T:

I know what you mean on the 2.5TDi, i drove one a few years back, will take a look :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
There's no correct answer to what you need, everyone is different and use their vans for different things. You will only know when you give it a go!

As for stooping, without a pop top or high top you will be stooping. In my van a tin top (no pop or high top), I can reach our cooker, tap etc sitting down so I don't notice, my wife who is a little shorter cannot reach so has to stoop to reach. I have full width rnr bed with a small cooker unit behind the drivers seat.

My parents who have a traditional layout with units along one side and a pop top. This is great as you can stand up straight at the cooker/sink when the top is up. However you cannot pop the top up all the time, if it is raining, windy or just very cold you will probably keep it down. When my mum want's to cook with the top down she sits on a little folding stool.

If you have never tried a camper before ask if you can test make a cup of tea so you get a feel of it as well as a test drive.

As for engines, you would probably be better off with a good 2.4 than a clapped out 2.5tdi, its really a judgment on what you find. Also worth considering is the fact that entry to London and other european cities is restricted for older diesels.

Lastly, check the MOT history of the vehicle online at Direct.gov before you purchase. See recent warning thread on here...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2.4 and use it daily and for mi hols .

its a basic engine so no turbo's to go wrong, easy to work on.

it does 70 mph plus more I:, gets there as it should, no probs, mpg is good.

the fridge is full of beer so i dont care if you get there first...I got the beer Rasp:

its a camper not a sports racey thing so chill and plod along...(dam that another caravan thats ovetaken me)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, it's the stooping part that bothers me the most, I took the mrs to see a T25 Hightop, she liked that, but i am not sure she will like this caravelle....

We will see I guess T:

That's encouraging re the 2.4, I won't be going into any major cities with it, we intend to go to as many seaside resorts as poss and cycle around once the van is parked :D

The 2.4 I am off to see has 104k on it, I will definitely do a dvla MOT check though!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Consider that a high top will stop you going into carparks with height barriers, a frequent occurence at some seaside resorts! You will also have the same problem with some pop tops as they add a little height, but some will be ok. This is the reason my parents went from a t25 high top to a t4 pop top from Reimo, as they got annoyed by the car park barriers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi guys, having persuaded the mrs that we NEED a vw camper, I am looking to stile while the iron is hot!

We have our eye on a R plate converted Caravelle, it has the rock and roll bed, sink and cooker unit and all carpeted etc. It has 240 hook up but no leisure battery and obviousl no blown air system.

For any of you that own a caravelle, is it big enough inside or do you find yourself crouching, would I need a fridge fitted? I was thinking of using a powered cool box?

It's. 2.4D anyone else run the 2.4? is it economical? Or one to avoid?

Many thanks in advance!

IanT:
mines up for grabs 2.5tdi pm me if intrested

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks T:

I have found a converted 2.4 caravelle and a 1.9TDi both fairly near to me and appear to be fairly priced, the 1.9 needs windows put into the rear but is newer than the caravelle.. Decisions decisions!

A trip to see them both at the weekend is in order T:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Thanks T:

I have found a converted 2.4 caravelle and a 1.9TDi both fairly near to me and appear to be fairly priced, the 1.9 needs windows put into the rear but is newer than the caravelle.. Decisions decisions!

A trip to see them both at the weekend is in order T:
Have a look and a test drive
I always say if a vehicle has various engine variants you should try and drive them all before buying one
Good luck T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts