VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just starting on my T5 journey after being introduced to camper life with a 1979 Bay Window in about 1990. (Showing my age).

I've bought a 2012 SWB T28 in Natural Grey and am planning to use it for mountain bike trips to Wales, Scotland and so on as well as cheeky weekend camping trips week long tours to do things like the Western Isles and the Great Atlantic Way.

First job is switching out the barn doors for a tailgate so that I can get a good bike rack on van without resorting to a tow-bar.

Next Up will be a pop up roof - I like the look of the HiLo roof for the sleek design and also the volume of space inside it. Plus I want to code the roof red and they're doing a free colour code offer this month :)

On the inside I'm basically going to mimic this layout (which is one of the first vans I looked at, and after considering a few other options have come back to). The furniture is the Evo Designs Type 5 together with a top-loading fridge and the Rib bed.

Other bits include swapping the front seats for some great leather Audi TT seats I picked up from Mungo on here, installing the [email protected] night-heater and thats about it, apart from an awning.

I'll post pics for those interested and hopefully meet a few of you at some of the shows.

RTC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds good, I've just got myself a T5 as well. Am still considering the switch from barn doors to tailgate for the same reason. Would love to know the cost of switching them over!

Good luck with you project man!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now gone from this

to this

after selling the barn doors it's going to have cost about £550, mostly due to the re-spray of the tailgate (I decided to get a california tailgate which already had tinted double glazed glass)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts