VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Hello ... LWB 174 off road grey ... Camper-ish build

135K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  spacepig_uk 
#1 ·
Hello!

I've been lurking around on here for a while now!

We have a SWB t5 130 Caravelle and went over to france & spain for a month last summer in it, this was awesome!

So I've decided if he drives the caravelle ... I wanted my own!

I bought this

It's done 75k full vw s/h
174 manual, tailgate, leccy sunroof, leccy windows, leccy foldy in mirrors ...

So now it's the start of a kind of conversion!

I want to be able sleep 2 of us plus my pooch and have two moutain bikes inside!

So my plan is to build a box over both wheel arches the length of the van ... Apart from the sliding door!! And build a bed between the boxed in arches, with the bikes where the sliding door!
Having a leisure bat, 240v hook up (only for sockets and a bat charger)

Any help & suggestions is much appreciated!

Thanks
Anna

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Done a little bit on him this week!

Started the sound deadening, 2 big packs of silent coat has just about done both sides with a few sheets left so I've ordered another pack to do the roof & tailgate!

It's pretty easy stuff to work with, just not at minus temps at had to heat each bit up with my hair dryer so it stuck properly!

I need to finish the sound deadnning off now & then start the insulation!

I'm going with the recycled bottle stuff as normal, then bubble foil, then super foil 19 multi foil ... As a guy at work had a roll for £50 not £150!

Then to ply it out ...

I've got some 3mm hardboard to make templates with as I want to do the side in one piece (looks like 1sheet anyway)

Anyone any advice on templeting or the best way to do it?

T: so far I'm just grinning from ear to ear when I'm in it!!!

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
After a lot of searching!!! And 12k lighter!

I was a bit picky as he already has a caravelle so knew exactly what I wanted - MY OWN!!

Just struggled like buggary getting cab headlining off this morning as it's got a sunroof! On a brew and leftover curry break at the moment!

Silent coat from here £75, for a bulk pack then £5 p&p
So cheaper than eBay if getting more than one pack!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-40-sheet-bulk-pack-of-car-sound-proofing-deadening-vibration-2mm-mat

#5 · (Edited)
After lunch got a few more bits done:

Chrome indicator bulbs fitted

The carried on soundproofing the roof and took the cab mat out for sound deadening tomorrow when my next pack arrives.

Ohh and did flat blade wipers

Did a trail fit of the lights to see if they were light enough!!!

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a major upset last night on the way to work!

My sunroof is leaking!!!! :-O

So hopefully I'll try and get that sorted tomorrow evening, if it stops snowing! Think it's a few bolts to take the cassette out then hopefully I'll be able to mastic up the bits it's leaking from!!

I've done some of the insulation this week too

And my calafornia steps & eberspacher pipe arrived too!!

Played a little with vinyl wrap ... Not sure if I like it or not!!

Used this from b&q £14 a roll

#11 ·
I used a roll of vinyl I got from voodoovinyls on eBay.

Removed the panels, unclip the long one which may have an airbag in depending on your van, mine dosent so easy to remove. Then the smaller end panel you unclip the side dash panel and just pop it out.

I then just cut a sheet a big bigger than the panel and stuck it on with spray glue (it is stick backed but not very sticky)
Then I cut it to size while on the panel with a scalpel.

I cut the ends to mold it around the ends and heated it to stretch it!

#12 ·
Done a few bits last couple of weeks, with a cheeky trip upto Scotland skiing in the 'velle!

Thermafleece in ... I messed up and did it with glass fibre first so ripped it all out and re-done with thermafleece.

Colour coded bumper on!

Eber stand pipe fitter to sender unit!

Fixed the broken vanhaus swivel I bought ... Straighten it out and full width plastic swivel plates fitted.
Then a little sticker bomb again!

Tinted clear back lights.

This week hopefully sort the ply out and decide what I'm doing with the walls as I don't like carpet .... Any suggestions as best I've got is leather.

#13 ·
Not done much this week as I've been out on the moutain bike!!!

I've bought some dash blanks from vw and got to work on putting usb's in them as it does my head in having the cup holder out!

So I cut the sides of the blanks with a scalpel,
Drilled some holes to start the slot off for the usb's the a lot of scraping away with the scalpel!
A little more stick bomb .... And this is what I got!

#14 ·
I've bought the sportline seat covers on a recent trip to vw to peruse the Cali tailgate trim with the chairs!!

So I ordered one from kernow transporters £500 delivered.

Today I've put the battens up for my ply, and had a few trail fittings of the bikes/fridge ect.

Also got the dimmer switch for my led's so I've been playing with that on kitchen table and it's pretty cool if I do say so myself!

#19 ·
So I've been a bit busy but everything takes time and I don't have enough!!!!

I've fitted my reverse camera, then fitted the cali tailgate trim!
Now I need new struts so I'm trying to get some from SGS Engineering, yet the 1250Kn ones ment for the cali won't hold my tailgate up, so I've sent them back and hopefully they can put more gas in them or something!

Picked up a cali table off ebay for £150 with the panel. I'm planning on fibreglassing around the table and making a pass side door card to hold the table.

Also another ebay bargain!! An 18" avtex tv, which runs on 12v!

Lastly I have done the ply for my pass side, took a full day to do and it killed an old jigsaw!!!
I'm a mega perfectionist so it had to be on which takes a lot of time!

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally got a bit more done after a week away skiing!

Picked up a eber d2 on fleabay for £250, out of a Landy so not seen any useage.

I already had the 7 day timer, so cracked on with fitting it.

I used a stainless bracket and riv nuts that are on eBay ... http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141593722314

If anyone wants one let me know as can do some forum discount as we sell them!!!

#25 ·
Few more bits done over the weekend!

Got my engine cover fitted, so all looks neater under the bonnet.

Finally got around to moving the handbrake bracket further down on my seat base.
I ground the welds off and drilled out the spot welds, then welded a flat sheet of steel onto the base, to cover the holes.
Then welded the bracket back on. So now drivers seat swivels with no problems!

Started carpeting on Sunday, I'm using purple carpet ... As I hate the normal grey/black look it's so boring!
Not sure what I'm covering my panels in ... But the exposed metalwork will be purple!

Not bad progress, although I wasted a day thinking the sliding door light didn't work when infact it was because the front light wasn't plugged in!

Also got my split charge fully wired in and tested.

Then I've fitted a GSM controller to my eber so I can text it to turn it on & off as well as the 7 day timer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.