VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm sure it's a familiar story (the first part anyway) but I bought a t5 camper after a friend showed me around theirs, after that I was hooked. The driving position, the comfort and (for me anyway) the use of a mobile office for my day-to-day surveying jobs.

The second part...
I bought an 09 T5 from Liverpool Camper Van Conversions, which was MOT'd 3 days before I picked it up, they also fixed a power steering fluid leak which they told me about (bet you already know where this is headed).
Since then I've had my value for money from my RAC membership.
30 miles after my purchase we had a blow out due to excessive tyre wear on the inner edge (should never have passed an MOT), when I phone LCVC to complain they sounded mortified and gave me a second set of alloys and tyres, I kept the originals.
two days later it was recovered by RAC when the gear linkage cables completely failed - my local (usual) garage said they looked like they'd been 'messed around with'.
While in the garage they found that the power steering 'fix' had been done by bodging an off-cut of rubber fuel line pipe and two jubilee clips onto the pressurised steel power steering pipe and it was spewing out fluid under pressure.
Needless to say I had the timing belt kit changed while it was in there as I'd lost a lot of confidence.
One week later we lost all turbo power, two garage visits later it turns out to be a blown intercooler, which I've just spent most of my weekend fixing.

The moral of my story.....apart from the blatantly obvious one of Buyer Beware, is if you use Liverpool Camper Van Conversions, take your own van. The conversion itself is good, the guys there were nice enough but the garage they use to health check their vans is definitely NOT to be trusted.

I still love my van and, especially after putting this much effort into it, am planning to keep it for a long time.

By the way does anyone want to buy 4 slightly scuffed 20 inch alloys with 3 good tyres, and one knackered on??

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like an interesting start to your journey :eek:
Hopefully the worst is behind you now and you can enjoy van life as it should be!
Any pics of your van?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Welcome. Now you’ve got it sorted any plans to modify your bus? As previous post any photos?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the warm welcome, like you say hopefully the rough patch is over and I can get on with enjoying/ tinkering now.
Yes there's plenty I want to do, especially before I take it to Glasto,
She's not looking the cleanest today as we had a round trip to Leeds yesterday by the way.

The list of plans seems to get longer every day, but I'm guessing I'm in the right company for that :)

First on the list is to get the outside back up to scratch by sorting out the grill (the garage appears to have lost all the clips during it's many visits, hence the zip tie round the front bumper) and get the damage from the blow-out fixed on the front nearside wing. Plus see if I can give it a face lift and get the wrinkles out of the bonnet bra and strip the weird greenish stuff that's peeling of the front bumper that looks like van eczema. I'm guessing the front bumper was wrapped at some point and it's the glue residue, it's a bugger to get off, even WD40 doesn't make much difference.
I'm planning on tarting the cabin up a bit to make it less "work van", hiding the rest of the cables, fitting a posher stereo, adding a bit of colour to some of the easier dash panels and finding a drivers seat back cover to match the rest. Maybe some wind deflectors on the side windows and other little odds and ends like steel door treads. I toyed with the idea of converting the windows to electric, but I've fallen in love with the retro winders now.
After that.... I want to fit a decent size solar panel on the roof, get some additional windows on the passenger side, have a diesel heater fitted (I know they're more expensive than the gas ones, but I also know I'll constantly be running out of gas if I don't since I use it as a mobile office during the week). I also fancy maybe replacing the double swivel passenger seat in the front with a California seat , but they're a bit pricey and I'm not sure if I could deal with the loss of storage, probably best to save that one for later.

That's the short list to start with anyway lol

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the warm welcome, like you say hopefully the rough patch is over and I can get on with enjoying/ tinkering now.
Yes there's plenty I want to do, especially before I take it to Glasto,
She's not looking the cleanest today as we had a round trip to Leeds yesterday by the way. View attachment 175961 View attachment 175962 View attachment 175963 View attachment 175964
The list of plans seems to get longer every day, but I'm guessing I'm in the right company for that :)

First on the list is to get the outside back up to scratch by sorting out the grill (the garage appears to have lost all the clips during it's many visits, hence the zip tie round the front bumper) and get the damage from the blow-out fixed on the front nearside wing. Plus see if I can give it a face lift and get the wrinkles out of the bonnet bra and strip the weird greenish stuff that's peeling of the front bumper that looks like van eczema. I'm guessing the front bumper was wrapped at some point and it's the glue residue, it's a bugger to get off, even WD40 doesn't make much difference.
I'm planning on tarting the cabin up a bit to make it less "work van", hiding the rest of the cables, fitting a posher stereo, adding a bit of colour to some of the easier dash panels and finding a drivers seat back cover to match the rest. Maybe some wind deflectors on the side windows and other little odds and ends like steel door treads. I toyed with the idea of converting the windows to electric, but I've fallen in love with the retro winders now.
After that.... I want to fit a decent size solar panel on the roof, get some additional windows on the passenger side, have a diesel heater fitted (I know they're more expensive than the gas ones, but I also know I'll constantly be running out of gas if I don't since I use it as a mobile office during the week). I also fancy maybe replacing the double swivel passenger seat in the front with a California seat , but they're a bit pricey and I'm not sure if I could deal with the loss of storage, probably best to save that one for later.

That's the short list to start with anyway lol
Additional to the list, I would add additional door seals to the cab doors, if you haven't already got them..

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Nice looking camper there, with each fix / mod you'll fall further in love with it! You're definitely in the right company if you're looking to part with some cash, have a look through the build threads and your bank account magically empties itself :unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts