VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, wonder if you can help me on this, am a bit desparate! Last week my bro in law was driving our 97 2.4aab down a slip road when the engine cut. Still electrics worked, but van wouldn't restart or even turn over. Just a click from the solenoid. There was reported and electric-ky smell too. Got the thing towed back to mine. Today been underneath it, checked the starter motor connections, charged the battery which is brand new, and still just a click and a jolt from the starter. After a few clicks, whisp of smoke is seen rising up off the starter motor. It is almost as if the engine is locked up. Tried putting it in 5th and rocking back and forth but no luck.

ANY IDEAS?!

And to add to my woes, the numpty at the garage who put the last starter on about 20k ago has rounded one of the socket head cap screws, so i cant get the starter motor off! :(:(:(

Previous to this problem, our lights have been veeeery dim for a while, and the battery drains slowly over a month or two. This problem may be unrelated and to do with the alt but im not sure. Any advice welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please someone any advice? Does this sound like a starter issue? The lights dont dim when cranked, battery seems good. Ive tried giving the starter a tap and rocking in 5th, no luck.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
As you werent driving at the time , it adds to uncertainty ! An electricky smell would seem to indicate a short in the cab side of the engine bay . Is there power to fuel cut off solenoid ? Are any fuses blown ? Any damaged wiring to ignition switch ? A continuity meter could help to begin the process of finding the problem . Its also possible a relay or so may have failed , etc . Not much help , but I reckon you will need to methodically eliminate , bit by bit .. Good luck .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check the top starter connection, sounds like it is corroded.
Try putting a jump lead from battery +ve to top starter connection and see what happens. If this connection is corroded the starter will try to draw power through the ignition switch and the small wire to starter which will cause it to smoke.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both of you, as far as i can tell so far there is no damaged wiring or expired fuses/relays. Had a look today again with the help of a friend, and the smoke seems to be coming from the soldered connection on the 1 inch long thick wire joining the solenoid housing to the motor. After about 3 or 4 clicks it really starts to smell and the solenoid housing gets very warm. I have been looking at the top +ve joint on the starter ANND as i unscrewed the copper nut, it brought half of the bloomin copper stud off with it! Very corroded :( So that needs remedying before i can go any further, i would have taken the starter off but like i said one of the three mounthing bolts has turned to cheese and until im back at work i cant drill it out.

Would a bad connection here on the starter though make the van cut out whilst driving? Yes, alot of uncertainty as I didnt experience the breakdown, just been left to pick up the pieces....:( One of the downsides to co-ownership I guess!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Would a bad connection here on the starter though make the van cut out whilst driving? Yes, alot of uncertainty as I didnt experience the breakdown, just been left to pick up the pieces....:( One of the downsides to co-ownership I guess!
On many vehicles the alternator output wire (thick one) loops up to the starter top connection before going back to the battery +ve, if this connection is corroded then your battery won't charge properly. If battery drops below about 9 volts the fuel cut off solenoid will drop out and the engine will stop.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Looking at the info , I reckon you may have more than one issue going on . The starter motor connection may well be corroded , but that alone would not make a diesel vehicle grind to a halt . Once they are running , only lacck of fuel will stop the motor . It may be , once battery charge is not enough to keep the solenoid open will let it shut down . In that case , alternator performance is also a possibility . If you can afford it , I,d be inclined to get two re-con units , (£200..??) and go from there .. Depends on how much time without the vehicle you can commit . I rekon my time working on mine at £10 an hour . If it doesn,t add up , I just replace ...!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts