VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to fit some different lights in the back so went into B&Q for some decking lights as they run on 12v and have read on here there nice n cheap.
Had a bit of problem though.

Marked them out on the rear ceiling panel, took the panel out n drilled the holes. Popped the lights in and pushed back into place.....

To my shock there isnt enough room between the panels n the roof by about 10mm. (didn't think about checking the depth) Not to much of a problem ATM as im changing the panels, but not sure on how im going to get over the depth situation. Think im in need of some help/advice.

Thinking of packing down the ceiling to create more space above or changing the lights and putting these somewhere else in the van just to use them up I:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I would look at making up a load of rings so make up 10mm 'donut' type things (probably not a technical term) and then cover them in carpet or fabric. They would be like big fat washers!

It will mean your lights sit slightly lower and should look pretty good (imo). Look through build threads, I'm sure someone will have done it before.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
In the T4 you can install them in the voids on the roof ribs, we double up carpet packers which helps the last few mm and also prevents the ceiling from squeaking, by doing this you can get 5 across the width of each rib, you need about 20 of the small decking lights to get a decent spread of light.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the T4 you can install them in the voids on the roof ribs, we double up carpet packers which helps the last few mm and also prevents the ceiling from squeaking, by doing this you can get 5 across the width of each rib, you need about 20 of the small decking lights to get a decent spread of light.
Ew didnt think of that :* cool ill mark out some more holes and grab some ply from B&Q for when ive got it all right T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts