VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i have registered on here in the hope of getting some help. my husband recently bought a transporter t4 and has travelled to switzerland today. unfortuntely he has broken down on the a39 near bourg en bresse and thinks the engine has gone. he did not take any breakdown cover due to lack of funds,
i am waiting to hear when the police will rescue him and then the aa that we are members of here gave me the number for the rescue people they use abroad.
so couple of questions what is the chance of getting a replacement engine over there ans if not any idea how much it will cost him to get the van home????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks he is just waiting for police to recover him. luckily he is staying at my sisters and she has a vw golf and uses a local garage. so for tonight he just needs to get there and deal with it tommorow

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If it is something like the timing belt, it is not going to be pretty. More likely to to source a replacement engine in Europe though.

Hopefully its just something a little more simple and does just need a mechanic and replacement whatsit to get it going again.

Fingers crossed for you.T:

·
Registered
43 Posts
unfortunately my sister is in the us on the way to south america for a month and her breakdown only works if she is there. he sajd there was smoke coming out if the engine and he thinks a piston may gave gone through. he has only had the van for about 6 weeks and bought it locally from a chap from the motorparts shop who i believe had replaced the engine.
he has spent tye last few weeks getting it ready for a 4 week trip skiing to switzerland.
thanks for you kind words

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Fingers crossed here for you both, hope it's something simple like wrong fuel, split fuel line, air leak etc. T:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hubby is settling down for the night in the compound in the van. he tells me he was driving along when he heard a thump under the van and smoke started coming into the van from the engine. he pulled over and when he looked under bonnet the smoke was coming from where oil goes in and from dipstick. however there is still oil in it and no evidence of a leak underneath. any ideas?

·
Registered
542 Posts
if it's smoking it maybe a piston but more likely a turbo if it's turbo charged.
Wishing you the best of luck T:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
With regards to getting the van back, it could be towed to Calais/Dunkirque. You would then need to liaise with the ferry company as the van would need to be last on, and last to disembark...

We had engine failure in Spain in 2010 and were very lucky the our insurance company also provided euro recovery for about £65/yr! They did all the liaising to get us back to UK then we just used my UK AA cover to get us from Portsmouth back home.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Oh and if you could get some info on the engine we may be able to give some mechanical advice... Your fault almost sounds exactly like our troubles...

My van was a 1.9 ABL and the timing slipped due to the crank nose wearing down... It smoked from the exhaust like mad and sounded rough...

The fault was caused by the engine replacement incorrectly done by the previous owner. The crank nose issue is becoming too common on the 1.9 T4s due to shoddy mechanics

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a thought but when he left today he checked oil and water and air filter was loose. Could I'd be that if it came off again?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he is in bourg en bresse as he was coming in on the a39. do you have a number perhaps he could call you. thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see you are from gex which would have been the way he would have come but he decided on the other way due to snow over the top. thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he is between macon and bourg en bresse. the garage is a peugeot one abd wont look at the vehicle. so he is just going to get himself and the van to his destination abd take it from there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he is being recovered to ferney voltaire near geneva as they wont recover to switzerland. wont even tell you the cost

1 - 20 of 86 Posts