VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

connected to thread in engine section.

Van wouldn't start yesterday 2002 2.5 88Bhp.

Callled the breakdown out who found the fault to be the 30 volt relay 109...he held it on for a length of time and the van kept running. Turned it off, then van started ok. New relay- no problem! He checked that power was going to all the fuses etc.

I then put the cover onto the relay, knocking it and did not start.

Took the relay next door who tested to on a battery thing(?) and it clicked on and off no problem. He suggests no problem with the relay....now I am confused! The connectors on the relay are all clean.

Any suggestions. Anyone had similar. Getting a relay tomorrow anyway but panicking that it might be the ECU itself :(

HEEEEEEELLLP

Rob

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
A 109 relay can click when tested but that doesn't mean its making a good contact bud. Early, black relays have poor solder which melts causing them to fail, grey ones are a new design with a higher temperature solder which means it doesn't happen. If its a black one, get a new one.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Jimmy James

It is the grey one that I have.

I think my next door neighbour is worrying me- just saw the sticky thread in this section on this which I may have a look at.

My money may be on the wire from this relay to the ECU which is black and white I think.

thanks again

Rob

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my dead van.

Jammed the relay 109 on and drove to garage to pick up a new 109 relay- about 30min drive.

Fitted it and hay presto glow plug on and satrted T:

Got home and got in the van tonight and didn't work again :(

Before I start investigating the sticky 109 in this section some more- any ideas out there. Seemed to work when warm?

There's the mention of the black and white wire from ECU?

Your responses will be much appreciated

rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I Have the same problem but when i changed the 109 relay it still will not start so i bridged number 4 and 6 were the relay goes and it runs, but still can not find the problem why it will not work with the relay.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
A guy round here had a problem that I think was not dissimilar. Turned out the problem was damage to where the relay plugged in, there was some evidence of melting/burning. He ended up replacing the board and it worked fine. Look for Mike Pearce on here if you want to quiz him!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Emmett

I had a look behind the fusebox at the weekend but couldn't see anything amiss.

I know nothing about electrics but the 2 facts are that the relay works when warmed up and when I've 'bodged' it to work, the temperature gauge doesn't work .

Looking at possible connections with this.

may have to ring an auto electrician unless can find out problem as travelling alot over xmas with kids so don't fancy doing this then :(

Rob

·
Registered
541 Posts
check out my thread about van really slow..this relay had been bypassed and the reason was a broken wire to ecu..gave me a huge lack of power too..search threads by zimzimmer..there is a detailed explanation of what to do hope this helps

·
Registered
354 Posts
open up the wiring harness across the top of the engine,the thick one that runs over the front to the ecu ul prob find corroded and damaged wires in there,i had the same problem. water lye's in the harness and corrodes it away,easy fix but you have to cut sections out the loom and replace some of the wiring. use waterproof conectors then lagger the loom in some sort of wd40/water replant spray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi think what emmet said could be right as i was looking at a german t4 site
a guy on there says he took his fuse board out
and replased it with one from a passat and it worked.
Some other guy said he solderd the conector at the back of his and that worked.
Going to give it a go even tho i Puled the fuse board down i could not see much
think i will take it out and have a good look. Will let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have had big problems with this. Going to try a new relay.

Mine is the grey one but have checked to find no break in the wires.

Relay did work when tested so might as well replace it although with back of it off, still no joy even when I held it together.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all

Big thanks to all on this thread and the sticky at the top of the page.

Had the intermittent fault over christmas still.

Saw an auto electrician who thought it was probably in the ignition switch so bypassed it with another (comedy moments starting the van with a screwdriver T:)- still there.

Anyhow prospect of a full strip down to find the fault :eek: until next door neighbour waggled the main loom in the engine bay that stalled the van...diagnosis- break in the black/ white wire from relay 109.

Found it just on top of engine block and put new wire in- saved a packet....spent 30 miuntes putting the plastic protector onto the wires after though- methinks a simple invention is in order (dragons den potential LOL:)

Just proves the power of this forum...and a good wiggle T:

My temperature gauge doesn't work now- started to be intermittent about same time so probably another broken wire but cant be a*sed at mo...unless someone has some more wisdom!

A greatful (and richer) Rob

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yep, spooky that exactly the same wire that chafed in mine the black/white wire is the earth for relay 109. My temperature gauge also went about the same time, reading about half scale only, thermostat was broken. I would look into it rather that leave it last thing you want is an overheating engine because your gauge dont work. Which could cost you a packet :eek:Temp sender/thermostat/open circuit?

Hi all

Big thanks to all on this thread and the sticky at the top of the page.

Had the intermittent fault over christmas still.

Saw an auto electrician who thought it was probably in the ignition switch so bypassed it with another (comedy moments starting the van with a screwdriver T:)- still there.

Anyhow prospect of a full strip down to find the fault :eek: until next door neighbour waggled the main loom in the engine bay that stalled the van...diagnosis- break in the black/ white wire from relay 109.

Found it just on top of engine block and put new wire in- saved a packet....spent 30 miuntes putting the plastic protector onto the wires after though- methinks a simple invention is in order (dragons den potential LOL:)

Just proves the power of this forum...and a good wiggle T:

My temperature gauge doesn't work now- started to be intermittent about same time so probably another broken wire but cant be a*sed at mo...unless someone has some more wisdom!

A greatful (and richer) Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi well i sorted the relay problem and yes it was the b/w wire some were over the engine.
Solderd a wire from bulk head to ecu, put it in a bit of conduit and cable tied it to the loom.T:

Thanks to a post by cyclist rob who put pics and wire diagram on his post.A:
Would never have found it, behind the fuse box is a rats nest of wires.:eek:

Now for my next problem hunting idle could be throttle switch on the pedal.:confused:

thanks for the info :ILU:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,
Seems as this the same problem i had on my van , totally pickled me , but finally got to the bottom of it which was there was no earth on the 109 ,spliced into black n white wire at back of board behind relay and connected it with a bit of wire which was then earthed to van and hey presto sorted , a bit easier than tracing black n white wire through the loom .
Hope this helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts