VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought Dez a couple of weeks ago on this forum and he has worked perfectly until yesterday.

I was heading out towards the M62 with my little 5 year old, got onto the motorway, and Dez started losing power. Not cutting out completely, just significant power loss to the point that I had to get on the hard shoulder and hobble along at 20 mph. Occasionally he would spring back into life and go at full power as though not a problem, then suddenly drop off again. He then cut out when idle a couple of times. No dash warnings that I can see.

I managed to get him into a cinema car park and called for roadside assistance. We are with AutoAid (only signed up last week). They were great on the phone, until they told me that Dez wasn't covered because he weighs more than 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight. Is this true? They reckon he weights 2.7 tons.

So no vehicle cover. By this time my 5 year old was tired and a little upset and wanted to get home. So I decided to try and hobble Dez home along the A62 rather than risk the motorway. He drove home with no problems at all (around 5 miles).

Fast forward to this morning, Dez won't start. No warnings on the dash again. Battery seems fine as turning over ok. Sounds like he's attempting to kick into life but isn't making it.

I want to get him down to Volks Works in Leeds (he was booked in for Wednesday anyway) but at the moment he won't start. Any ideas?

Dez is a 2000 Caravelle 2.5 TDi with 214k on the clock. You can see him here:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=632857

I had just filled him up with diesel for the first time, not sure this is significant but maybe a full tank causes trouble?

Appreciate your help guys.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stupid questions, but you didn't fill him up with petrol did you?

My mom's t4 broke down in a similar way a few years ago (loss of power, coming and going), only when it first had died it didn't want to start up again. Hers was a broken diesel pump.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You definitely put diesel in?
Check the receipt from the garage where you filled up.

I have a petrol car and a diesel van and I check that I have the right pump several times before I fill up and still wonder when I drive away if I got it right.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Btw, your t4 doesn't weigh 2.7 tonnes, it's more likely to be rated to a maximum weight of 2.7 tonnes (with all passengers and luggage).
The car itself weighs just over 1.7 tonnes

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Not that stupid a question. First thing I did was check the recent when I stopped the car. Definitely diesel!

So it may be a fuel pump? Anything else I should be looking at?

Also, thanks for the weight info. Is there a published weight I can refer them to?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not excactly sure where to find any official papers online, but if you google it you should find something.

Here in Norway it's written in the cars title of which we have to keep in the car at all times.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mobile mechanic has been out. He seemed a decent guy. He has diagnosed a fuel issue (possibly the pump). Next step is to get Dez into Volks Works in Leeds. He'll be towed in on Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted on progress. :(

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I wonder if anyone else who filled up at that garage is having problems.

When I was 16, many years ago, about 1969, I worked on the petrol pumps and a tanker had been in before my shift and put fuel in the wrong tanks.
We didn't have diesel in those days, you had to go to a truck garage for diesel, cars didn't use it. We had petrol, 2 star, 3 star and 4 star. We just let it go and no - one noticed.
I have no idea if the wrong fuel could be put into the underground tanks in this modern age, but if there was some petrol in there, it might cause some problems, depending on how much?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wonder if anyone else who filled up at that garage is having problems.

When I was 16, many years ago, about 1969, I worked on the petrol pumps and a tanker had been in before my shift and put fuel in the wrong tanks.
We didn't have diesel in those days, you had to go to a truck garage for diesel, cars didn't use it. We had petrol, 2 star, 3 star and 4 star. We just let it go and no - one noticed.
I have no idea if the wrong fuel could be put into the underground tanks in this modern age, but if there was some petrol in there, it might cause some problems, depending on how much?
Any contamination of tanks would be picked up very quickly, if not by the driver then certainly by the site operators. T:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah he drove fine for a week or two and then this. The guys at Volks Works seem excellent. They're calling me in the next hour or two with an update on Dez.

Update on the issue with Auto Aid recovery. Basically they were wrong. The ULW of the Caravelle is around 1.7 tons. So nowhere near the 2.5 ton limit. They are going to reimburse my recovery costs as a result and have confirmed I am indeed covered. Not a great first experience with Auto Aid. Hopefully won't need to use them again any time soon....

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way if you're looking for gross vehicle weight, ULW etc. of various T4 models, the thread is here

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morning all

So Volks Works took quite a while to get Dez sorted. No fault of theirs, I dropped this problem on them and they had a full schedule for the last couple of weeks.

Bab got chance to look at Dez on Wednesday/Thursday and I picked him up yesterday afternoon. Runs perfectly well.

The diagnostics brought up a fault with the fuel shut off solenoid. This was replaced but did not resolve the issue, however it did result in a clear diagnostics!
They then checked over the whole fuel system. They found the fuel pump timing was incorrect. It looks like the belts have been fitted fairly recently (I don't have any service history for Dez so running a bit blind - will build up some paperwork of my own no doubt!).
Volks Works removed the timing belt and re-set the pump timing. This resolved the starting issue. So although they couldn't say 100% what caused the issue, the best guess is that the belt was not correctly tensioned when it was fitted and slipped at some point knocking the timing out.

I also requested a full checkover while Dez was in. The good news is he isn't in too bad shape. But a few things need sorting that I could do with some advice on costs etc.

1. Exhaust blowing in 3 places. Apart from the section at the engine, the rest of the exhaust needs placing. Presumably I can get this done at any standard tyres/exhaust place. What price should I be aiming for? Should I just go full exhaust?

2. Front roll bar bushes need replacing soon.

3. Both track rod ends need sorting.

4. NSF inner CV boot split.

5. As you can see from the pics, Dez has a set of Audi alloys. The tyres on these are 6 ply (car tyres). For a van I should have 8 ply tyres.

Bab was very surprised Dez passed his MOT a few weeks ago with these issues, particularly the exhaust! He was MOT'd just before I bought him.

So running reasonably well for now. I'm much more confident that I have a T4 in reasonable shape after Volks Works did a full check over.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Morning all

1. Exhaust blowing in 3 places. Apart from the section at the engine, the rest of the exhaust needs placing. Presumably I can get this done at any standard tyres/exhaust place. What price should I be aiming for? Should I just go full exhaust?

2. Front roll bar bushes need replacing soon.

3. Both track rod ends need sorting.

4. NSF inner CV boot split.
Don't leave that CV long, grit in there will ruin it and for the others it makes sense to do at same time as the CV boot, exhaust wherever you get the right price - full if I was you.
Tyres as soon as - a blow out could cost you the van. Your insurance company would have a get out of paying if you have an accident. Pleased it seems to be running well now.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
A lot of people run on 6 ply XL tyres, it depends on their load rating and the weight of your van. They are no good for mine as it is a heavy van and needs a minimum of 100 load rating but when I bough it it had Audi Car Alloys and XL 6 ply 97 rated tyres on it and had passed its MOT fairly recently with KWIK FIT, I think.

As soon as I realised they were not legal, I got rid and am now running T4 Steel Wheels with 8 ply R15C 104/102 load rated tyres.

But, if yours is a lighter weight van, say an 800, they may be OK, the tyres that is, don't know about Audi wheels from a car being OK. You need to take advice from someone who knows.

Look at your load rating plates, these are mine.

But mine is ex AA so was built for motorways and towing etc and I think may be a 1200

But yes, the only part of your van that touches the road are your tyres and it amazes me that people will run a van with car tyres.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts