VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a nightmare at the moment with my Waeco CR50 compressor fridge.

Currently running fridge from a 110AH leisure battery via a PMS3 power management system.

Before camperjam the battery was fully charged on mains, it was topped up via split charge relay on the way there (Fridge and battery are only 3 month old). Got there at 4pm and everything OK. Only run fridge and water pump and by morning battery was dead (less than 14 hours).

I measured the current fridge takes and it is approx 3.5A when running and then switches off when it has got to temperature, then switches on and off as required, never taking more than 3.5A. By my reconning, worst case the battery should last 31 hours (if it runs all the time).

I spoke with some guys at Camperjam with a similar setup and they are getting 2-3 days out of theirs.

I have had battery back to supplier and they tested it and said nothing was wrong.
I am currently trying another smaller leisure battery to see if that makes any difference.

It is really peeing me off given the price of these fridges. I am now beginning to wish I had gone down the 3 way fridge route and save £250.

Any ideas as to what I can test next.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jurasic,

I had the fridge set to about about the middle.
I didn't think it was too warm, but not sure how much heat the fridge generates.
No, at the moment I don't have any specific vents but there is plenty of room around the sides and back.

I am trying a different battery at the moment, I then plan on pulling the fridge out and connecting it direct to the battery and trying the same test with it sat in the open air to see what difference it makes. If it works in the open I will then have to see how I can get a vent and fan in the area. I don't want to cut the side of the van, that was the whole reason for going with this type of fridge. Have you got any photos of your set up that I can have a look at? Do you just have vents or do you use a fan, if so what type have you used?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I use a fan (actually a pair of them). They are a pair of 12v jobbies that were originally used for cooling a hard drive for a computer. These are mounted in the side of the cabinet, behind the drivers seat.
Mind you I had a very similar situation as you. I had it on the weekend before (hot day) & the battery only lasted about halfway through the night. It was on from about 9am the day before. I tested the battery (afterwards) & it was reading about 11.7 volts. The fridge would start the cooling fan first (not mine, the one mounted on the fridge vents) & then try to start the compressor. It would wind up, then cut out. As I said, the battery became low. I can only assume that either my battery is on it's way out, or it was too hot during the day so it ran the battery down. The red LED was flashing. My fridge is set in the middle (level 4).

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't put any vents in side of cupboard as my table is stored there. Think I might put one on the floor sucking air direct from outside and then put an outlet louvre on the front panel above the fridge, not sure about the noise problem though. I am getting exactly the same thing with the flashing light. I originally had too small a wiring in, got the same error light. Upgraded wiring now still no better, I can only assume it is a heat problem. Spoke to a couple of guys at weekend and they had no problems at all, need to find out if they have vented them somehow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i remeber reading in my instructions if you set the fridge colder it will last longer as the voltage cut out is lower,mine lasted 2 days before it cut out on a 100ah battery
hth
funk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts