VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I marked everything up with tipex and the belt was fitted without moving anything. I turned the engine over by hand and rechecked the marks all line perfectly.

I couldn't find any clear markings on the injector pump so I tipexed my own the rationale being as long as I didn't move anything and all the marks i made lined when I reinstalled the belt It should be all good to go!

I could not find any timing marks on the torque convertor, its automatic.

If I'm correct and no 1 is on the drivers side of the engine the cam lobes were pointing upwards and therefore cyl 1 was at TDC or pretty close. I couldn't find any timing marks on the vibration damper pulley but there was a line on the back plate so I tipexed both line and pulley.

I've also replaced the the diesel filter but had the engine running post replacement so don't think this is related. I've cracked off the the injectors but there doesn't appear to be very much diesel coming from the injectors? Also the low oil pressure light and buzzer comes on if you crank the engine over for too long. Is this normal? I have changed the oil and filter but again the engine was run post oil and filter change.

Obviously my thinking is flawed it now won't start!

·
Registered
682 Posts
If I'm correct and no 1 is on the drivers side of the engine the cam lobes were pointing upwards and therefore cyl 1 was at TDC or pretty close.
They should have been pointing outwards parallel with the cylinder head

Like this? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/img2035d.jpg/

Saying that if you only changed the injection belt and everything lines up it should start. Do you have vagcom? If your timing is way out it will show a fault.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved after stripping it down a number of times checking and rechecking the marks I had made it started! Shame I wasn't able to remove the crank pulley bolt to replace the cambelt, which was the main job I had intended to perform :(

I now have to replace the alternator drive belt as since I removed and replaced it its screaming its head off :*

Thanks for responding to my cry for help! T:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Problem solved after stripping it down a number of times checking and rechecking the marks I had made it started! Shame I wasn't able to remove the crank pulley bolt to replace the cambelt, which was the main job I had intended to perform :(

I now have to replace the alternator drive belt as since I removed and replaced it its screaming its head off :*

Thanks for responding to my cry for help! T:
Nice one! A vagcom setup would be handy to set your timing up properly. It can start and run OK even if your timings way out.

(Same thing has happened to my altenator belt since changing the cam belt. It not too bad just squeaks a bit around 1000rpm. Must be common enough.)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
When my injector pump timing slipped (2.5 AJT) i came quickly to the conclusion that there are 365 degrees in a circle and timing a VW to 364.5 of them will mean the engine management throws a hissy fit.

Rhys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts