VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As title van jacked up out front ,have put Eibachs n gaz shocks on back no problem

Fronts well that's :bhd top bolt came out ok....but can't get the nut off the other the Whole thing just turns :eek: can't get spanner in either .....and help appreciated :confused:
Found this pic and it's that nut when it moves the top bit moves , can't get grips or spanner on it ...........
Hope you don't mind me using your photo jane/rob&dennis I'll remove if you want

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi,

Just did my Gaz shocks today, silly question ..... You are undoing the nut the correct way aren't you ? If the nut is just spinning sounds like its cross threaded.

You could try to soak it with WD 40 or try putting some heat on see if thats works. Not sure how you would go about trying to cut the bolt off really as its hard to get to ????

The other thing you could try is getting a good pair of mole grips and then try to undo the nut BUT pull down on it to catch the thread again.

Let us know how you get on !!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nind , yeah the nut is turning but so is the threaded bit :confused: and have tried to grip the top bit but its made of butter I:
question is this supposed to move :*...have packed up for the night ...will need to get a 27 spanner to lower front and will see if i can get a suitable tool :) to hold the top :bhd

mike

·
Registered
615 Posts
When I did mine this morning the thread didn't move and nut came off. So if you can grip the top with some mole grips then you should be ok.

If your any good at welding you could try and weld a bolt to the top to see if that stops it from turning ! Once its off I would put a new nut on it.

Just to let you know I also ground down the top plates so there is more movement its worth doing !

That thread is NOT meant to move mate.

By the way make sure you use Axle stands don't use a jack to lower it mate its not safe.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
615 Posts
You'll get it sort mate don't worry, you could also try one of those nut splitters get a good one from Machine mart a few quid.

Probably best to clean the nut off with a small wire brush and WD 40 it, then put a socket on it.

Let us know if you get it sorted !

·
Registered
78 Posts
dude u'll need to loosen off the 3 bolts holding the sub frame to the chassie T:,just slacken them off just enough to get a spanner on that stupid nut head,u don't need to drop the subframe completly i had same prob with mine an my mates but did both this way T:,make sure u wire brush the nut to come off an spray plenty WD40 on it will undo.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok just got right side off no problem T: , have some chemical weld I: might put that on an c if it holds I:
Ok then didnt go as planed ...chemical weld didnt hold :eek: so thinks i need a welder T: as its as round as a round thing I:

thx for all your advice T:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll get it sort mate don't worry, you could also try one of those nut splitters get a good one from Machine mart a few quid.

Probably best to clean the nut off with a small wire brush and WD 40 it, then put a socket on it.

Let us know if you get it sorted !
Got it sorted woohoo ,bit of a weld on top mount/bolt to stop it turning and nit is now loose A:
Just need to lower on torsion bars :eek: of to search the technique :confused:

Thx for the advice gents

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gor torsion bars sorted might bring her up a tad :)

Have the knocking noise up front :( so need that sorted
Took van up to get pass side damper mount welded so back on new springs n shocks and only front right new shock and I had knocking ........now all changed and torsion bar wound down don't think it's got worse ...anyway seems I need some metal work :*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts