VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Help, i need wheel advice.

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Or_GazM 
#1 ·
I have a T4 Caravelle X plate Yr 2000 and am having problems with wheels. I was on holiday a couple of months ago and hit a pot hole that damaged my alloy wheel beyond repair and have been looking at ebay every couple of days to match up without any luck. The alloy wheels I currently have are 18 x 8J P675, ET35 690KG CODE 1135-88 Tyre size 225/40Z R18 92W Extra Load. Ideally I would like to buy just one but I don't think I will find one, alternatively I could buy a set of steel wheels + tyres but don't know what I am looking for as it seems I have to be careful with laod rating etc. Can anyone offer advice or know where I can get a set of cheap second hand steels (I plan to sell the T4 so do not want to but a new set of expensive alloys).

Many thanks
Glen

#2 · (Edited)
Probably the damage you got was due to the fact that neither the wheels you have, nor the tyres are "load rated" for your van!

Check the axle weights (on a plate inside the door, or the manual).
Divide front axle weight by 2, and that gives you both wheel and tyre ratings required.

Not 100% sure, but I think the 'velle should have 97LI on the tyres, Wheels should be rated at around 750kg +

See this thread:

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=843473

Try the Classifieds section for wheels for sale.

#5 ·
I have seen some alloys that look hopeless and been repaired. Post a picture of the damage. I just had a steel wheel that I got for free that looked like a steam roller had driven over. Now they look like new.
My alloys too were rolled out to new condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.