VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.9td R reg SWB T4 died on the motorway on sat night, after the low level coolant light came on there was a sudden loss of power and had to pull over quickly!

When i lifted the bonnet there was a lot of steam/smoke and hissing noises the coolant bottle was empty so quickly filled it, where it would instantly boil off or drain somewhere, after pouring in several litres i gave up!
The oil filler cap had condensation and on checking this morning was milky in colour.

Previously i have had overheating problems until a good flush and re-filling with the correct coolant fixed this and was a super reliable motor sitting halfway on the temp gauge no overheating. Could the damage have already been done?

The breakdown guy just towed me since no hard shoulder and i told him it might be the head gasket so he didn't bother looking.\
Aside from a sniff test and what i have noted already how else can i diagnose the issue?
The van won't start at all now, it makes a very nasty noise trying to turn over!

I would like to know my options ie: skimmed head and pressure test? or crack on with tdi conversion?

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the plymouth area?

Many thanks in advance people................

·
Registered
260 Posts
yes, damage could well already be done, look for gas bubbles in the expansion tank, if the head gasket has gone it will pressurize the system too much and coolant will come out of the overflow pipe most prob, also look around the joint between head and block, sometimes can blow oil or water out of the joint, ..............

best bet is to turn off asap if the water temp light comes, sometimes even then its too late, always let things cool down before adding more coolant or you could crack something, i have had quite a few incidents like this :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts