VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above. Got 2 out of 4 out. 2 stuck in. Solid and the key is now knackered. Tried hammering a socket over it and theyre so tight even that just slipped and rounded off. Tried drilling one of the ones that ive got out and its just ruining the drill bits and hardly getting anywhere.

Anyone got any suggestions???

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
878 Posts
As above. Got 2 out of 4 out. 2 stuck in. Solid and the key is now knackered. Tried hammering a socket over it and theyre so tight even that just slipped and rounded off. Tried drilling one of the ones that ive got out and its just ruining the drill bits and hardly getting anywhere.

Anyone got any suggestions???

Cheers, Nick
Go to a garage,and ask, you can get special sockets with grip veins inside, my mate had to do mine after a numpty at a tyre fitters knackerd my lock key with an air wrench!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Theyre exactly the same as the ones on our lasses 307, I had the same problem a while back when it needed some new discs and pads, the pins in the key had bent and the key part just kept falling off when trying to undo them,

she sent it to Harrats Peugeot dealers in tarn for em doing and they did the job and never said they had struggled with em, ive got a new key now.

Has it got a number on the key so yo can get another one? I know what you going through mate I was pulling my friggin hair out when I couldnt get our lasses off.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theyre exactly the same as the ones on our lasses 307, I had the same problem a while back when it needed some new discs and pads, the pins in the key had bent and the key part just kept falling off when trying to undo them,

she sent it to Harrats Peugeot dealers in tarn for em doing and they did the job and never said they had struggled with em, ive got a new key now.

Has it got a number on the key so yo can get another one? I know what you going through mate I was pulling my friggin hair out when I couldnt get our lasses off.
There is a number but i duno if theyre VW or what. Also, the bolts look a bit battered now. Im tearin my hair out wi this un.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have had this problem with these type nuts. I simplt welded another wheel nut ontop of the locking one then remoced in the normal way. Easy!T:

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had this problem with these type nuts. I simplt welded another wheel nut ontop of the locking one then remoced in the normal way. Easy!T:
Haha here comes the next problem... im not being awkward honest,

The holes in the wheel are really deep. Cant get in to weld anything to it. The lock nut key actually disappears into the wheel when you fit it.

I had thought about welding

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I hate to say it but, been there and after quite a few hours struggling my brazils off with it had to take a resiprocating saw to the wheel. :eek:
It was lucky that the reason I was removing the wheel was because I'd bought new ones. Still grieved me as I was going to sell the old uns.
Really funnilly (not) when I was about half way through the wheel spoke, I noticed the wheel nut had worked it's own way loose with all the vibration. :*
So you could try shaking it loose somehow; but I doubt it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Take van to ATS, i took mine as van didnt come with locking wheel nut socket, and getting new wheels so had to get all four off, only cost me £25 T:

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the replies. The welding down a tube is a good idea. Luckily if it comes to cutting heel its the tattyold ones m etting rid of. Will try ATS as theyre 5 mins away. Also got the AA to try. They said that they can send someone to have a go (ive read somewhere they carry a type of tool hat will do this type of nut) but our lass has to ring and be present as its her policy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Get your self these I used these to get a set of merc rims off a merc in the scrapper when they had no key, no word of a lie 20mins and they were all off. I did buy 2 sets, because one of the locking bolts was completely foobard with an air chisel. They work wonders!!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey Yoyo, try measuring the the circumference of the raised bit of the bolt i.e. the indent of the key, and then get yourself an "impact " socket a couple of mil smaller and a lump hammer and blast it onto the stub of the wheel nut! I know it sounds a bit lairy but it works fella T: i have done this on more than one occasion and saved no end of griefT: hope this helps dude.. dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts