VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting a judder through my steering when idling and stationary and turning the wheel either left or right. This has been happening for a year at least but is significantly more noticeable when starting from cold during winter. So today I thought I'd take a sample of the power steering reservoir fluid as I was suspicious of a contamination. Look what I found in the pics below. Please can anyone enlighten me as to what could be the issue:* Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologies, I'd called it a private album. It's now public. Should work? It's the first time I've tried to do it. Used the pictures option next to FAQ's, uploaded and album. Hopefully that's the approved sequence..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I managed to duplicate one of the pictures 3 times. Art. Anyhow, am I right in thinking this fluid shoudl be a nice green colour and not oily brown ;).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its likely to be engine oil contamination,if you have a 2.5. Was the level too high? When mine went engine oil filled the reservior to the point where it came out of the vent in the cap. If it is that,a new p/s pump is the cure.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Its likely to be engine oil contamination,if you have a 2.5. Was the level too high? When mine went engine oil filled the reservior to the point where it came out of the vent in the cap. If it is that,a new p/s pump is the cure.
It would be impossible on a T4 for engine oil to get into the power steering unless you fill the reservoir with it by mistake

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
It would be impossible for engine oil to get into the power steering unless you fill the reservoir with it by mistake

I wont say I know much about engines etc, but we are working on a van at the moment and the customer described exactly the same circumstances on a 2.5 and new power steering pump required. He said the steering fluid was pumping out of the lid and that it was contaminated with engine oil. I dont know how or why, but it did sound exactly like this.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I wont say I know much about engines etc, but we are working on a van at the moment and the customer described exactly the same circumstances on a 2.5 and new power steering pump required. He said the steering fluid was pumping out of the lid and that it was contaminated with engine oil. I dont know how or why, but it did sound exactly like this.

Sorry didn't realise it was a T5 thought it was a T4 where the pump hoses etc are completely separate, I should really read the heading first before responding - my apologies.I:

I have edited my post

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I'm also very sure it is oil, but would like reassurance it is the pump that has caused it. I suppose it can't be anything else? I suppose some numbnutt may have put oil in there by accident before I bought it and I've only now fou d out? The level is fine and had not been overflowing. If the pump is knackered and has been allowing engine oil to get in there is it possible that power steering fluid can also get into the engine oil - I blummin' hope not!

Cheers all T:

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I would flush with pas fluid and make sure the belt is tight enough. Cheaper than a new pump to find out if it is fubarred.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
To save any confusion if it's a 1.9pd T5 then it's belt driven and cannot cross contaminate. If its a 2.5pd then it's directly gear driven and could if the input seal has failed. The oil does not look black enough to be contaminated by engine oil. You don't say what mileage has been done, but would advise you change the Power steering oil first and flush a couple of times and the refill and monitor it from there. The black is most likely debris from wear in the system and is usually the inside of the hoses ( rubber) deteriorating.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all, to clarify, it's an AXD 2.5 without aircon and therefore chain driven and no belt. Milage circa 80,000. I like the idea of a flush prior to replacing the pump (between 200 to 350 pounds for the parts it seems).....will investigate to see if it is something I can do myself..

Thanks for the input..T:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Hi all, to clarify, it's an AXD 2.5 without aircon and therefore chain driven and no belt. Milage circa 80,000. I like the idea of a flush prior to replacing the pump (between 200 to 350 pounds for the parts it seems).....will investigate to see if it is something I can do myself..

Thanks for the input..T:
Gear driven not chain, you have loads of cogs hence the distinctive noise!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gear driven not chain, you have loads of cogs hence the distinctive noise!!!
Hah, yes you're quite right. Eagle eyed indeed. I saw my error once posted but am not allowed to edit my posts yet ;)

Thanks for the link to a cheaper pump.........T: If it is stated as 'with aircon' on the website, I presume it fits non-air con models like mine?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts