VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help; i'm quite worried about my van and don't know if this is potentially a serious problem/what could be causing it etc...

I bought a 2004 SWB 1.9TD T28 T5 in baby blue second hand with 58000 on the clock and a full service history from a van dealership recently. It runs really nicely and is in very good condition (apart from a couple of minor dings/scrapes here and there).

Problem is, i've started noticing what can only be described as a 'lumpy' idle... almost as if the engine just misses a beat when idling, then continues smoothly, till it misses the next one. I started noticing it when sitting idling (at traffic lights or junctions etc) and could hear a slightly uneven idle noise, and felt an uncommon vibration through the seat.

The van has a full service history (all VW) and comes with a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty from the dealer where i bought it, so i'm keen to get this seen to as quickly as possible. However, it is not terribly obvious - you have to listen out for it, and i'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions ?

thanks and fingers crossed!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 1.9 does this as well. You can feel it and its every 3 or 4 seconds but mine is ok when its up to normal temperature.

Its been like that for as long as ive had it and its done 136,000 miles

·
Registered
131 Posts
First of all stick your van on vagcom to see if any faults are showing. If this is ok next thing to do is change your fuel filter in case it is drawing in air or is slightly loose/not sealing properly. Make sure leak off pipes between injectors are not perished. Check pump/injector fittings are tight. Check all vaccum pipes are not perished. Check all sensor wires are undamaged, seperate connectors and check for corrosion/dampness. You could also spray wd 40 around all pipes and fittings. If the engine picks up speed you have a air leak somewhere. Worst case scenario is pump and injectors needing reconditioned which on my T4 cost around £900 including removal/refitting by VW Van Centre Edinburgh.
Hope it's nothing serious mate.
Good luck.

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
My 1.9 does this as well. You can feel it and its every 3 or 4 seconds but mine is ok when its up to normal temperature.

Its been like that for as long as ive had it and its done 136,000 miles
Mine is exactly the same, when warm its fine, 59000 on the clock, but drives great .
pleased im not on my own, had mine about 2 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,
my T5 1.9 104 also has the lumpy idle.Seems like a bit of a pattern emerging.I haven't done anything about it and after a year and 10,000 miles isn't any worse,so just going to leave it.

Matt

·
Registered
626 Posts
t could be anything without looking at it but they all sound like they have a defective 'fuel temp sensor'. a little plastic sensor in the low pressure fuel line before filter, only costs about £18. Measure the fuel temp from cold and adjusts it relative, they can be locked down or locked up both giving strange tickovers. Does sometimes register a fault on vag com, intermittent but doesnt always put the fault light on. Thats my bet. Dont think all of your vans have fuel issues, filters etc, but obviously they have to be right first.:ILU:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Easy replacement just 2 pipe clips and the connector, its on the low pressure side so no bleeding is required. Might have to reset with scanner or vag com but then you might not, lots cheaper than falling for 'the fuel pump needs replacing' gag.:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
my 2.5 t5 does the same when cold i seem to have found a cure when i start it now i wait a few seconds after the glow plug light goes out ,then start it and it seems to run better no missing up to now hope this helped

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I have A T5 1.9 and mine is lumpy as well. It also does not like starting when cold, have to switch the ignition on and off a couple of times beore it will go, The colder it is the worse. Starts fine when warm. I'm going to service it next week and replace the fuel filter and glow plugs at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts