VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having trouble deciding which engine i should go for when buying a t4
the 1.9 is supposed to be good but every advert i see for a t4 with a 1.9 says new engine or rebuilt engine and only seem to have about 170k on the clock
so is the 2.4 better or 2.5 if so which 2.5 do you go for the 88 or 112 or 122 bhp model?
are there any that you should stay away from?
any help would be great many thanks john

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Dodge SVT 10............. oh sorry thats not on the list :D

It depends on fuel costs, wether you want the simplicity of the 2.4 (no electrics, ecu etc), insurance and the usual stuff like that, but generally speaking people would prefer the higher horsepower 2.5 (not sure of exact figure), then the 88bhp 2.5 and then the 1.9 as it's easily tunable for 2.5esque power and then the 2.4, although I personally feel that the 2.4 is underated.
I'd worry more about getting a good solid van rather than what engine is in it T:

Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
2.5TDi's seem to be the quietest of the lot and my 102bhp is quite economical too. Not that much quicker than my tuned 1.9TD though

1.9TD will be cheapest to maintain e.g. cambelt is less than £200 job where as on the 2.5TDi its more like £400 - £500 depending where you take it

I do prefer my 2.5TDi to my 1.9TD but only just and its already costing me more money as having work done on it seems to cost more (as mentioned cambelt etc.)

If I was to buy another van now having had three (2x 1.9TDs and 1x 2.5TDi) I would go for a 2.5TDi 102bhp but with low miles having just had the cambelt and waterpump changed by VW lol but my budget never allows!

Also consider what features you want, things like electric windows and mirrors can easily be retro fitted later e.g. £250 ish for electric windows, on the 2.5TDi about £100-£200 for cruise control fitted, etc. etc. but aircon for example would cost ££££ to fit later so if you want aircon make sure you buy one with it already fitted.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies
im getting on abit now so not too worried about insurance or initial cost of the van to be honest so much as having to rebuild an engine or have the aggro of breaking down all the time just want a good reliable van that will be doing the same speed at the top of the hill as it was at the bottom ( just sold my splitty ) lol keep the replies coming though the more info the better please

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is no rule of thumb as to 1.9's will go pop at a certain mileage or the 2.5's will last forever. My first ever T4 was a 1.9td with a quarter of a million miles on it and drove fantastic.
Having had many, many T4's come and go and especially your comment about wanting to be going the same speed at te top of a hill as the bottom, then 2.5td (either 88 or 102) I would say is for you. With a loaded 1.9 you may find yourself knocking it down a gear on hills possibly.
Having said that, while looking, if you came across a great condition van that had obvioulsy been looked after, I would probably go for that whatever the engine! But if for instance you found 2, one 1.9 and the other 2.5 both in same condition then I would go for the 2.5 but bear in mind those servicing costs.

............ thats cleared that up!! There is no answer!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help peeps dont stop though more opinions wanted
also is an 02 plated swb 2.5tdi 112bhp with 140k on the clock any good if its been looked after? or is the mileage way to high? i know its high for the age but it should be capable of that sort of number with no worries shouldn't it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got an 88bhp 2.5 tdi 2002 with a hitop. Arrived back today after doing about 2000 miles touring France. Brilliant on the motorways and economical. Its always a compromise between speed and economy. I believe the 88bhp meets what i need. \it really depends wether you want to belt about the place or take life more leisurely.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have a tuned 1.9td which has nearly racked up 200k. had small probs in the 3 years of owning it and just have put a new head on it which cost me £500 but its good as gold now. If i changed vans i would opt for a 2.5 but for the mo im staying 1.9:ILU:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so noone would be put off of a 2002 model with 140k on the clock then so long as the rest of the van is sound and its had regular servicing?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
so noone would be put off of a 2002 model with 140k on the clock then so long as the rest of the van is sound and its had regular servicing?
just 140k on the clock ..pahh nothing that :D as above just check the cambelt water pump has been done and all should be well

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would of thought if it had done that mileage in a short time without being a taxi then they may be nice long motorway miles which are better than lots of short trips around town

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
the 1.9 is supposed to be good but every advert i see for a t4 with a 1.9 says new engine or rebuilt engine and only seem to have about 170k on the clock
so is the 2.4 better or 2.5 if so which 2.5 do you go for the 88 or 112 or 122 bhp model?

Sounds like my van on ebay lol :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would of thought if it had done that mileage in a short time without being a taxi then they may be nice long motorway miles which are better than lots of short trips around town

Just my opinion :)
i was a bit worried it maybe an old AA van and didnt know if that was good or bad??

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
There's a lot of them about, especially on here - kind of obvious really I suppose.

Treat like viewing any second hand vehicle. Make sure you have a good look at the service history. It should be well looked after. 140k on one is nothing.

Try to get to look at a few others too before making the decision - always good to have a comparison with something else

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Bought my 02 2.5 tdi (102bhp) a couple of weeks ago and its done 166'000 but engine sounds lovely and pulls like a train up hills. Engine and gearbox feel nice and tight.
There is a very steep hill near me and my 2.0 jtd ducato work van needs changing down a gear halfway up the hill but in the T4 i was in 5th at the bottom and still in 5th at the top with only a slight decrease in speed. very impressed with this engine. My mate has the 1.9td and the only problem he has with it is he wishes it had a bit more power.
mine seems to spend most of its time in fifth (anything from 40mph upwards) put £20 of diesel in last week and did around 145 miles before light came on again.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
,,hi mate ive never drove the 2.5 so i cant say but i have a 2001 1.9TD ive done all the mods with abit of a twist look in my public view;),,,i can honestly say this is not a slow van but its not mega fast what iam trying to say if you drive it right its fun and pretty pokie & iam genuinely getting over 40mpg and thats without trying before the mods ya were lucky to get 35/38mpg,,the key i think with these vans is not to thrash them Eg; if you just put ya foot to the floor i personally think they loose power & bog down,,as far as the recon engine job my mate as a W reg passat TDI yes its a tdi but under the bonnet there nion the same "Same Age as mine" his father inlaw gave him it
it sounds nice & tight no smoke/no oil consump/starts first turn of the key loads of power she as a wopping 280 thou on her back "Yes Thats miles",,,think the ones you"ve seen probs havent been too well looked afterT::)hope this helps

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've got an ex AA 2.5 TDI with 109K on the clock. I believe 140K, especially with a sound service history, is nothing to worry about at all. Pulls very well, engine and gear box tip top, and I get 44mpg on a run. It's a very subjective thing (and I'm obviously biased!) but I wouldn't be worried about buying (the right!) ex AA. I bet there's many ex AA jobbers out there that are better than private vans...and visa versa of course...!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts