VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while my 2007 174 t5 was parked up my alarm went off, normally if I press fob to unlock it switches off but didn't respond! Went outside put key in ignition and started it up, nothing. Eventually it turned off but noticed when I locked the van again the locks sounded lazy. Unlocked again sounded lazy. If I use the switch on the drivers door panel all I hear is a shorting sound coming from dashboard.

What could be wrong???

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Could it be an issue with the wiring under the driver seat ?
Several posts here of corroding wires under the seat causing electrical issues fella.
If it is its an easy fix from what i saw here T:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG!!!! Just unplugged the 3 plugs to look and I think you might be right ! 2 of the 3 plugs have masses of green corrosion everywhere. Also the locks have stopped responding altogether since plugging back in. What's the best thing to do? Rewrite completely or clean?

·
Registered
112 Posts
OMG!!!! Just unplugged the 3 plugs to look and I think you might be right ! 2 of the 3 plugs have masses of green corrosion everywhere. Also the locks have stopped responding altogether since plugging back in. What's the best thing to do? Rewrite completely or clean?
The corrosion is usually just biting at your vans age, you've catched it just at the right time!

Spray the plugs with brake cleaner (aerosols from motor factors etc) with a rag to catch the run off, use an old toothbrush or similar to get the detritus off. Gently smear a pea sized dollop of electrical grease (silicon) on the contacts and plug/unplug several times.

Plug together, wipe up & job should be done.

Under the seat gets a lot of moisture from boots/shoes too. Just make sure it's cleaned occasionally.

ok?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The corrosion is usually just biting at your vans age, you've catched it just at the right time!

Spray the plugs with brake cleaner (aerosols from motor factors etc) with a rag to catch the run off, use an old toothbrush or similar to get the detritus off. Gently smear a pea sized dollop of electrical grease (silicon) on the contacts and plug/unplug several times.

Plug together, wipe up & job should be done.

Under the seat gets a lot of moisture from boots/shoes too. Just make sure it's cleaned occasionally.

ok?
Could this be the reason my passanger lock has been playing up for a while? Hopefully everything will be resolved later when i attempt the job with the advise you have given. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HELP... Done the cleanup job to no avail! all contacts are now shiny clean yet still has same problem BUT my alarm keeps sounding and cant turn it off!!!!! disconnected battery and still the alarm is sounding.. HELP ME

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All sorted. Basically stripped wiring back from module under drivers seat until I found a bunchh of wires all wired together and taped up. These basically fell apart in my hand due to corrosion. Stripped back wiring soldered together and heat shrunk the joint and taped up. Job sorted.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sorry fella, meant to get back to you to advise on a previous thread that included pics with the same kinda issues you had but got sidetracked :(
Glad you got it sorted tho T:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a warning if anyone attempts this job, Its easier to remove the seat from the base. DONT do what i did first attempt and that was try to remove the base! My van was parked on my drive facing downhill to my garage. Took all the nuts of the base and lifted the base out!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Didn't realise the handbrake mechanism was part of the seat base and subsequently when lifting the base took the tension of the handbrake cable and the van started to roll down my drive :eek: Panick struck me and managed to stop the van ploughing through my garage just half inch shorrt:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts