VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help. I have a T4 1996.. She's been running fantastic till this summer. Went to get in her 1 day and wouldn't start. AA said it was the starter motor. So i had that done. 2 weeks later went to start her up and puffs of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Took it back to the garage and they changed some fuse. She starts again for a few days then it happens again. So had the glow plugs changed. She starts again for a few days and it happens again. BUT if i spray an aerosol in the air filter she fires!!!! Anybody got any ideas please..Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,779 Posts
Is it a td? Sounds like immobiliser.
Can't be if it runs at all for more than 2 seconds!

What aerosol are you using?
Quick-start or similar will quickly ruin your engine!
Use silicone polish spray, as that lubricates the bores slightly, but at the same time, if used to often it will coat your MAF sensor and ruin that!

Have you checked that the glow plugs are actually working?

Starter motor was probably totally wrong! (Typical AA...remember, they're all alcoholics!)

Fuses and glow plugs....sensible, BUT, if there is a wiring fault, changing the fuse may work until it blows again.
Someone changing glow plugs probably also changed the fuse.
Works a while...then the fuse blows again.
Check it yourself....
1st 60 amp fuse in the black box in front of the battery.

Would help if we knew what engine!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If it is a TD don't dismiss the immobiliser. Mine would fire up and run all day like yours, other days no start.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Can't be if it runs at all for more than 2 seconds!

What aerosol are you using?
Quick-start or similar will quickly ruin your engine!
Use silicone polish spray, as that lubricates the bores slightly, but at the same time, if used to often it will coat your MAF sensor and ruin that!

Have you checked that the glow plugs are actually working?

Starter motor was probably totally wrong! (Typical AA...remember, they're all alcoholics!)

Fuses and glow plugs....sensible, BUT, if there is a wiring fault, changing the fuse may work until it blows again.
Someone changing glow plugs probably also changed the fuse.
Works a while...then the fuse blows again.
Check it yourself....
1st 60 amp fuse in the black box in front of the battery.

Would help if we knew what engine!
2.4d in profile , 1996, so that's an AAB T:

Can be lots of different things, often a combination, read this :

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=226851&highlight=Caravelle+cold+starting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts