VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. So I have been helping my son on his t4. Putting the engine back in. Had connected the left drive shaft loosely. Went back to tighten the 6 inner bolts on the driveshaft and it wouldn’t rotate (wasn’t in gear) tried tightening the main hub bolt on the wheel hub. Gear box oil flooding out. Looks like the gear box drive shaft has pulled out a little. So firstly why would this happen and what the bloody hell do I do now? Thank you

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,917 Posts
I suggest you pray for a mechanic!
Drive shafts connect to the gearbox, not the engine.
Probably your shaft wouldn't rotate due to lack of lubrication...did you pull it in and out a few times?
How tight was the shaft in your hub?
How are your nuts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Remove the 6 bolts and see if the flange itself can be rotated, if it can then I would suspect that whilst all has been in bits, someone has picked up the shaft and all the balls have dropped out on the inner part. I have had this happen with Audi and VW drive shafts and its a pain to put back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far. Perhaps I didn’t explain clearly. Main issue is then drive shaft output flange (the thing that the six bolts through the driveshaft actually screw into} has pulled out of the gearbox slightly causing an oil leak. Surely this part shouldn’t pull out?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it is the shiny bit in the photo then I suspect that they are held in with a snap ring on a shaft through to the diff and may well just need popping back to position but I would check first that you can simply pop them back. Someone will no doubt have an exploded drawing of a gearbox in bits and that will help.
Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have just found this for you but you may want to check it out first as although I have rebuilt some gearboxes in the past, nowadays this sort of work is left to the gearbox chaps, it is much easier to fit a re con box than faff about fixing one yourself!
in the pic, No9 will be a bearing, held in with No10 a circlip. No11 will most likely be your leaking seal and No12 is the shaft and cup assembly, looking down the shaft we have No8 and that will be the snap ring that is suppused to hold it in place. Sometimes these snap rings have either snapped during fitting or have simply not been put on and in some cases are just worn and do not do the job any more.
White Product Font Line Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just found this for you but you may want to check it out first as although I have rebuilt some gearboxes in the past, nowadays this sort of work is left to the gearbox chaps, it is much easier to fit a re con box than faff about fixing one yourself!
in the pic, No9 will be a bearing, held in with No10 a circlip. No11 will most likely be your leaking seal and No12 is the shaft and cup assembly, looking down the shaft we have No8 and that will be the snap ring that is suppused to hold it in place. Sometimes these snap rings have either snapped during fitting or have simply not been put on and in some cases are just worn and do not do the job any more.
View attachment 197558
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Haven’t had the time to go back to it yet. Am hoping the phalange will just clip back in and the clip and seal are still all good. Thanks again

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wood Musical instrument Cylinder Office supplies Metal

The flanges pull out easily if you haven't renewed the circlips on the end. Once you pull them out they burr badly on the splines, making them much easier to come out by themselves next time.

This is the RHS shaft but they're the same clip. You can just about see the grooves mangled into the sides where I've yoinked it out in the past. These clips need to be renewed every single time they are removed, but they're cheap so get extra just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 197591

The flanges pull out easily if you haven't renewed the circlips on the end. Once you pull them out they burr badly on the splines, making them much easier to come out by themselves next time.

This is the RHS shaft but they're the same clip. You can just about see the grooves mangled into the sides where I've yoinked it out in the past. These clips need to be renewed every single time they are removed, but they're cheap so get extra just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. If you have time: 1 best place to get clip? 2. Is there an oil seal that is likely to be knackered - all the oil leaked out when it popped out?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Brickwerks do them. The guys there are top notch. The seals are rubber so may not be damaged, but it'd be false economy not to change them out.

Clip:

Driveshaft seal for the 02B gearbox:

Driveshaft seal for the 02G gearbox:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brickwerks do them. The guys there are top notch. The seals are rubber so may not be damaged, but it'd be false economy not to change them out.

Clip:

Driveshaft seal for the 02B gearbox:

Driveshaft seal for the 02G gearbox:
Bloody amazing. Thank you so much. Some forums lead you on the wrong path. You have been brilliant. Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts