VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I need all your combined expertise please. I bought this van http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250446051504&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT, I won't say at the moment for how much. It was advertised as you can see having covered 98k. It turns out it's done over 205k and has been clocked. I'd love to hear opinions on how much you guys think this van would roughly be worth based on the false 98k miles and also what you recon it's really worth with the 205,000 miles.

This issue is heading to court for compensation and I need expert opinions regards true value so who better to ask then all of yous!! Please spare me a couple of minutes to give me your opinions, it is greatly appreciated and will hopefully help me get justice against the scum of humanity that rip people of with this type of fraud. Please note the seller might not be the one who clocked the vehicle so please don't send him any abuse!

Thanks in advance. T:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
sorry to hear that mate...

I hope ya never paid more than the starting price for it... it aint worth that even if it was gen mileage...:eek:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'd say £4k ish max some people may say less. Hope that hasn't offended but thats just my opinion. Hope you didn't pay out too much:(

Tra:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please don't feel like you might offend me, I'm happy for people to be as brutally honest as they feel necessary! Thanks for the input so far.

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
nick i would say 4k to 4250
is it still the original engine ?
whats you local garage say about it s condition
is it good as the pictures

i paid 1570 for a v plate with 235k on it and it needs paint and its only a panel van

and its worth in reality what you want to payT:

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
It's the old 2.4d engine and a homemade (and fairly basic interior), so £4k tops with 98K, no more than £2.5k with over 200K on the clock IMHO, esp with no history to back up any claims of being well maintained. Proves again that 'the last owner didn't give me the service book' is usually bulls:*t... Sorry to hear your story - may they rot in hell :*

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nick i would say 4k to 4250
is it still the original engine ?
whats you local garage say about it s condition
is it good as the pictures

i paid 1570 for a v plate with 235k on it and it needs paint and its only a panel van

and its worth in reality what you want to payT:
It's the original engine and sounds ok, down on power so looking for a pump/injector overhaul on the advice of a VW engineer who drove and inspected it. His opinion was it's just in need of a bit of TLC. Condition is sound structurally, just suffering mechanically really. Been all over (and under!) and pretty much rust free bar some tiny patches appearing on the arches. Now you know why I want some of your bits Steve! T:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Did a lot of looking and viewing before i found mine and prices have gone a little silly lately. If the interior is as tidy as it looks in the photos, and the bodywork is good like you say, and its mechanically sound then it probably would get 5k - possibly more if sold at the right time. T4s are in demand and the demand is growing - so as was said above, they're pretty much worth what someones willing to pay. Might be worth ringing one of the camper conversion shops to get an idea what they would sell it for as a used van.
This link aint a bad place to check out..
http://www.vwcampercrazy.co.uk/search_results.asp?TypeID=5

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks I'm really appreciating your help! It's nice to know you are all thinking along the same lines as me. Thanks for the link Jimbo, will check it out............

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi folks. I need all your combined expertise please. I bought this van http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250446051504&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT, I won't say at the moment for how much. It was advertised as you can see having covered 98k. It turns out it's done over 205k and has been clocked. I'd love to hear opinions on how much you guys think this van would roughly be worth based on the false 98k miles and also what you recon it's really worth with the 205,000 miles.

This issue is heading to court for compensation and I need expert opinions regards true value so who better to ask then all of yous!! Please spare me a couple of minutes to give me your opinions, it is greatly appreciated and will hopefully help me get justice against the scum of humanity that rip people of with this type of fraud. Please note the seller might not be the one who clocked the vehicle so please don't send him any abuse!

Thanks in advance. T:
hi sorry 2 hear bout yer misfortune:(, dont want to sound a complete numty but how did u find out its done 205k:confused:, would like to some how check mileage on my van

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would like to some how check mileage on my van
It's very easy, I just wish I'd found out about it sooner! Just go to http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp and add the long document number from the front of your V5 and the vehicle registration. It will then show you all the electronic data held for the MOT's for the vehicle including reasons for failure if applicable. Very beneficial also is the record of the mileage at the time of the MOT. Have a butchers, hope yours is ok and you aren't in the same boat!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sorry to hear your dilemma...hope you get a result.
The `downside` of the MOT enquiry appears that you need that MOT number......as a prospective buyer of the vehicle it might be difficult to obtain.
As the owner of the vehicle it might be too late.
Perhaps we should all ask for the MOT number to make our own checks prior to buying and walk away from those sellers who refuse.

This is the bit of T4/T5 ownership I am not looking forward to in the near future....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear your dilemma...hope you get a result.
The `downside` of the MOT enquiry appears that you need that MOT number.
That's not the case, you just need the document number from the V5 to view all of the past MOT's. You only need the MOT number if you are checking a specific one. If you follow the link I posted above and put the V5 number in the bottom box and reg in the top box you will see what I mean (ignore the middle box) I appreciate what you are saying regards that info might come to late, it did in my case. However in future I will ask for the document number to check myself. Any seller who wasn't happy for me to check would make me question what they were hiding!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's not the case, you just need the document number from the V5 to view all of the past MOT's. You only need the MOT number if you are checking a specific one. If you follow the link I posted above and put the V5 number in the bottom box and reg in the top box you will see what I mean (ignore the middle box) I appreciate what you are saying regards that info might come to late, it did in my case. However in future I will ask for the document number to check myself. Any seller who wasn't happy for me to check would make me question what they were hiding!
hi 1nce again if ya put a MOT number in all the previous 1s cum up 2A:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Hard to tell by just pics but £4250 up to £5000 easy on ebay. With 200 plus miles probably £3500 up to £4000. Ebay is a funny old place and to be honest im starting to disslike it.
Atb
T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Its worth whatever you were prepared to pay for it and it is a lovely looking van. If the engine is good and has no problems its a major thing regardless of mileage. First thing i would do is accept it for what it is regardless of the price you paid, get all the belts, water pump and stretch bolts replaced and have the timing checked, which is possibly the cause of it being down on power. Do remember the 2.4d is 2nd slowest to the 1.9d so its never going to be a devastating performer. Make sure everything is is just right and start enjoying it!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its worth whatever you were prepared to pay for it and it is a lovely looking van. If the engine is good and has no problems its a major thing regardless of mileage. First thing i would do is accept it for what it is regardless of the price you paid, get all the belts, water pump and stretch bolts replaced and have the timing checked, which is possibly the cause of it being down on power. Do remember the 2.4d is 2nd slowest to the 1.9d so its never going to be a devastating performer. Make sure everything is is just right and start enjoying it!
Spot on which is what I'm doing. VW have said the diesel pump and injectors are in desperate need of a recon and re-time and they said it was hugely down on power. I know it's a slug it's old technology which is something that strangely appealed (don't ask me why??!!), I bought it for cruising and mile munching with a view of just getting there, not necessarily quickly but reliably! It's just not meant to be as slow as it is at the moment, it's really hard work to build up any speed and terminal volocity is 60 downhill wind assisted! That said the block does appear to be ok and is quiet, no bang or knocks. The court claimed compensation is to reflect the fact I was sold something (and overpaid) I didn't think I was buying and some of that money will be needed to carry out the identified works needed due to the higher miles. Other than that it is a nice van as you point out.

Thanks for your views T:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts