VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off work with a slipped disc for a few weeks. The van has been sat around and last night the alarm sounded. Battery must be flat and I always park drivers side against my fence so can't manually open the drivers side. I can open sliding door but I've got a bulkhead. Is there a hidden key hole on passenger door or any way to open the bonnet so I can charge the battery. Its an 09 be T5 swb.

Thanks

·
Special Rapporteur
9,165 Posts
Sorry, no. If there's no keyhole, there's no lock behind - the mechanism will only be operated via the central locking (which, obviously, is dead along with the battery).

I suspect that the easiest way will be to get someone agile to unlock the driver's door with the key, open the door as far as it will go and "hook" the bonnet release to get to the battery. It is possible to open the bonnet from underneath but it is very far from easy.

You don't happen to have fitted any 12V outlets in the back, I guess?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have a split bulkhead? Had mine out in no time at all, only needed to support the aft roof lining with a strip of cardboard.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ?

Yeah I was thinking that too I'll make up a hook and try hooking the release later. No 12v in rear its just a panel Van. Thought I'd remove bulkhead them realized there's torx screws on the cabin side so thats a no go.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a split bulkhead? Had mine out in no time at all, only needed to support the aft roof lining with a strip of cardboard.
Yeah it has the full bulkhead which I thought I could remove from the rear but it looks like there's torx screws hold the top to the roof on the cabin side

·
Special Rapporteur
9,165 Posts
Do you have a towbar with electrics? In some cases it may be possible to put life back into the battery that way, though it would have to be done with care...

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a towbar with electrics? In some cases it may be possible to put life back into the battery that way, though it would have to be done with care...
No nothing like that. Gonna try fishing the bonnet release

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Good answers above but ignoring the techical in favour of the practical if the van is on a hard surface a good big trolley jack (with the help of local garage) can easily be used to pull the front away from the fence a couple of feet to gain acess to the door.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good answers above but ignoring the techical in favour of the practical if the van is on a hard surface a good big trolley jack (with the help of local garage) can easily be used to pull the front away from the fence a couple of feet to gain acess to the door.
Yeah that option did cross my mind. Not alot I can do right now I can barely lift a carton of milk. :-(

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Has the van got the standard interior light in centre of roof?
Not 100% sure but that wiring might be a constant live, so you could carefully add some power from there.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not 100% sure but that wiring might be a constant live, so you could carefully add some power from there.
Yeah I've got 3 roof lights, there were 2 and I added another 1

·
Special Rapporteur
9,165 Posts
No, there is no constant live there. It appears to be, but it isn't - it is actually controlled by J519.

So I would recommend that you do NOT try to charge the battery through that connection.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you manage to get into the van yet?
Just this minute got in from a drive in the van ?. A mate popped round this morning who has a t5.1 while chatting I mentioned the van, next thing you know we're towing it out using his towing eye, as I can't get to mine. Pulled it away from the fence job done. Got in and jump started it and I've given it a good half hour drive up the road. I'll probably give it a spin tomorrow too. Can't find my trickle charger but a good run should do.

Cheers for the input everyone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts