VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My T5 is a T28 2.0 Tdi 102 on a 62 plate, 75,000 miles. It has just developed a very strange fault where after starting the engine and running for only a couple of minutes I get the red water temperature dash lamp flashing and the warning beep. Not a high spec so no separate water temperature gauge. :( I also get the Glo-plug indicator lamp flashing and the electric radiator fan starts up as if there really is an overheating problem. The radiator and water pipes don't really get that warm after such a short time so that's really odd. :confused:

I have a fairly old DTC error code reader which shows a P0117 error - ECT Sensor Circuit Low Input - so I checked the coolant temperature sensor. The resistance seems to be OK - approx 2.4k ohms at 20 degrees C and dropping to around 340 ohms at 90+ degrees C. No other error codes shown. :*

Anyone come across these symptoms before?

Thanks for any ideas.

P0117 ECT Sensor Circuit Low Input

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0117
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
I suspect the water pump has failed. Not heard of it happening on many 2.0 engines but it happens on all the older 1.9s and 2.5s so I guess it's juct a matter of age/mileage...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion about the water pump. That had crossed my mind along with the thermostat sticking shut but I expect it's going to be expensive whatever the problem turns out to be :(.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts