VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just picked up our van on Saturday, the previous owner wasn’t a great help when it came to the electric side of things, I lifted the passenger seat to find the leisure battery and other components. (Previous owner didn’t even know they were there,let alone what they did).
This is we’re I need your help. The photograph below is what is under the seat,(please if I’m wrong in anything correct me).
Leisure battery(I know) the white box bottom left I believe to be the trip for the electric hook up with the switch top centre being like the on/off switch for that.
The white box bottom right I think is the 12v fuse box for the leisure battery covering lights and 12v sockets.
Red switch and the Duritic relay ( I have no idea what they do).
The final part being the CTek battery charger? not sure about that but does it charge the leisure battery when the hook up is connected. ?
Final part the second photo is the wall switches, I know that in van that is using the leisure battery , 0 is when the hook up is connected (I think) is the car position where it should be when driving the van?
So sorry to ask all these questions guys but the previous owner wasn’t the greatest help and I just want to have a clear understanding of everything . Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The Durite is a 140amp voltage sensitive relay - it's what splits the charge from the vans alternator (when the engine's running) to the leisure battery to keep it charged up.
The CTEK box is a mains battery charger, so when you're plugged into the mains / EHU it will charge/maintain the leisure battery so it won't go flat whilst you're using any 12V appliances / sockets / lights in your van.
The red 'lever' next to the Durite looks like it's a kill switch to isolate the electrics in the event of an issue.
I believe the Car/Van switch will be for the battery voltage meter so you can check the level of each, depending on which it is switched to.
Pump switch will be for the water taps on your sink (usually), Lights is self explanatory, and aux will probably be anything else you have wired in.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It might be a good idea to remove the red + rubber cover off of the negative on the battery, saves any confusing mishaps later. Replace it with a piece of black rubber if the seat taps on it.

Then fasten the removed red rubber over the exposed metal on the positive terminal, you definitely don't want that to short to any seat metal.

The set up looks ok really.
Is that battery clamped down?

I wonder why the seller didn't know anything about the electrics, surely he must have used it. Unless he was a trader.

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,887 Posts
It might be a good idea to remove the red + rubber cover off of the negative on the battery, saves any confusing mishaps later. Replace it with a piece of black rubber if the seat taps on it.

^^This:cool:

Rich.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Durite is a 140amp voltage sensitive relay - it's what splits the charge from the vans alternator (when the engine's running) to the leisure battery to keep it charged up.
The CTEK box is a mains battery charger, so when you're plugged into the mains / EHU it will charge/maintain the leisure battery so it won't go flat whilst you're using any 12V appliances / sockets / lights in your van.
The red 'lever' next to the Durite looks like it's a kill switch to isolate the electrics in the event of an issue.
I believe the Car/Van switch will be for the battery voltage meter so you can check the level of each, depending on which it is switched to.
Pump switch will be for the water taps on your sink (usually), Lights is self explanatory, and aux will probably be anything else you have wired in.
Thanks for your response, things seem to be getting a little clearer now, the seller seemed to think that that van was to use the leisure battery, 0 was to use hook up and I’m sure he said that in Car position that was for when you were travelling? ( not sure if that is right) when in van it shows the voltage in the meter and there is a push switch fitted to the seat box that is a digital reader for the leisure battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Then fasten the removed red rubber over the exposed metal on the positive terminal, you definitely don't want that to short to any seat metal.

The set up looks ok really.
Is that battery clamped down?

I wonder why the seller didn't know anything about the electrics, surely he must have used it. Unless he was a trader.
Yes the rubber is something I’ve got to do.
It was a professional conversion and when I saw it I couldn’t understand why the battery wasn’t clamped down??? Something else I’ll need to sort, probably get a battery tray and bolt it to the floor would probably be the easiest solution.
No he wasn’t a trader think he was just a little naive about things.Even though he did use it regularly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had another problem arise today. Went to fit my dashcam only to find that the cigarette lighter had suddenly stopped working. I’ve read a number of posts on here , but they don’t seem very conclusive. I’ve checked the 15amp fuse and that’s okay. When I’ve got some time over the weekend I’ve got to dig under this lot and see if I can find the fuse thats supposed to be under the passenger seat.
could also do with some pointers as to how to try and secure the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts