VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this please. When pulling away in first gear or when idling stationary I can put my foot to the floor and the power response is really slow and sluggish and takes about 10 seconds to build up revs! No idea what is causing this but its bloody dangerous when pulling out of junctions! Its not really a problem at cruising speed or motorway its just that initial power delivery that is beyond poor.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks, andy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is this for your short wheelbase camper? does it really have a 1.9 TDI engine or just a 1.9 TD? if the later, its all mechanical, no electronics and they ARE very slow off the mark. - but there some basic things you should check : air filter, fuel filter, cold startin g device. If its a real TDI you should do a OBD diagnostic scan on it to start with.

//Nisk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

thanks for that. I thought it was the 1.9 TDI but on the V5 it says its a TD. Is there a way to check anywhere on the van?
I've had it for about 5 years and although they are slow it used to be much better. This has only started happening very recently so definitely something going / gone wrong to effect performance. Its not puffing out loads of smoke when running so I'm pretty sure engine is ok and its only done aprox 150K.
We are based in Manchester and have found it difficult to find anyone who works on T4's round here so any recommendations would be welcome too :O)

Thanks Nisk,
andy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I`d check filters then look at Turbo actuator and vacume pipes to it. Any leaks could make the actuator slow to open and give boost. I may be totally wrong but cost nothing to check! Good luck

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Its gone from 1.9tdi to 1.9td to 1.9-you sure there's any thing under the bonnnet:*:D:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
One thing you need to check is the throttle cable. These have a spring in a box linking the 2 halves of the cable together, and a damper piston on the pump arm. This sysem is supposed to make for smoother driving, as it stops the pump arm moving too quickly.
When the cable is worn and starts to sieze, the spring compresses and does not allow the pump arm to move fully, so you get very sluggish take up.
Depress the throttle fully, then see if the pump arm has moved fully. If it moves more by hand, the cable is shot.
At the age T4's are now, the cabe is most likely well shot by now. They all go eventually.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have come across similar. It was my T4 TDI 75kW. I did not scratch a mark on the Fuel Pump. Therefore I re-assemble it after Gaskets renew, I have to guess the Position about the Top part of the Pump. It was later found installed too much leaning to the Output piping because there was much delay acceleration! After the Top is re-installed a bit away to the Output, it is then much more responds to Accelerator Pedal ;)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
One thing you need to check is the throttle cable. These have a spring in a box linking the 2 halves of the cable together, and a damper piston on the pump arm. This sysem is supposed to make for smoother driving, as it stops the pump arm moving too quickly.
When the cable is worn and starts to sieze, the spring compresses and does not allow the pump arm to move fully, so you get very sluggish take up.
Depress the throttle fully, then see if the pump arm has moved fully. If it moves more by hand, the cable is shot.
At the age T4's are now, the cabe is most likely well shot by now. They all go eventually.

99 percent it will be a stretched throttle cable. Vw never put a 1.9tdi in a t4 btw.
yup. Its a mechanical pump. check, tighten/replace throttle cable, cheap easy fix and have a go your self T:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd also agree and say throttle cable. It was a few months back, but if I remember rightly the new cable cost somewhere around £50 and took under half an hour (DIY) to change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Really appreciate all your help!
Will give all those things a go.

Cheers,

andy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One last thing... who would you recommend for T4 parts as I was going to head to Just Campers but though I would ask!

Cheers,

andy. T:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've found a company called VWS online fairly useful. They seem to know their stuff and are competitive on price. They're Bristol based but will post out.

Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts