VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done a search but cant find the same symptoms as mine:(

have had an intermittent problem for a while but now its just not turning over on the key at all:confused:

the immobilizer light is off, ignition lights are on

the battery is less than a year old, a lot bigger than it needs to be and provides plenty of power

if i put power to the solenoid from the main cable by bridging it then it starts no problem so I'm assuming there is no power at the black and red cable to the solenoid (although this i haven't tested that yet)- i have cleaned it to make sure its a good connection

assuming there's no power to the cable when i test it then where do i check next?
faulty ignition switch? relay?

any ideas guys?:*

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have done a search but cant find the same symptoms as mine:(

have had an intermittent problem for a while but now its just not turning over on the key at all:confused:

the immobilizer light is off, ignition lights are on

the battery is less than a year old, a lot bigger than it needs to be and provides plenty of power

if i put power to the solenoid from the main cable by bridging it then it starts no problem so I'm assuming there is no power at the black and red cable to the solenoid (although this i haven't tested that yet)- i have cleaned it to make sure its a good connection

assuming there's no power to the cable when i test it then where do i check next?
faulty ignition switch? relay?

any ideas guys?:*
I had the same problem on one of my vans last year... I ended up changing the starter motor and it fired up immediately and does so every time now. There were no faults or code readings on VAGCOM , immobilizer and keys were all working fine, I ended up messing around for three days!! Robert :ILU:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem on one of my vans last year... I ended up changing the starter motor and it fired up immediately and does so every time now. There were no faults or code readings on VAGCOM , immobilizer and keys were all working fine, I ended up messing around for three days!! Robert :ILU:
my initial thought was the starter but the fact that it fires up straight away when i put power to the solenoid connector points to something else

have got a spare ignition switch so will try that first, am more convinced thats what the problem is now I've done a search for it;)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all doneT:

fitted a new ignition switch from gsf (£12) and all is well (it was slightly cheaper from eurocarparts but gsf was quicker for me to get to)

fitted the spare one i had in the garage but it made no difference as it was also slightly worn

it would start with a screwdriver in the switch turning it over so it had to be just a worn switch not moving far enough

the small screw holding the switch in place is in a ridiculous position to get to but a bit of patience with a bent screwdriver paid off in the end (just wish the first one i fitted would have sorted it lol:( )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts