VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I'm just about to fit a new N/S front wing and front grill to my 1998 T4 (old ones got dented) but I've never done it before. Just wondering if anyone has any instructions or can point me in the right direction to to find some on the best proceedure to use for such a job.

Cheers.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
alright there mate.

to remove the front grille there are 3 philips screws on the top when you open the bonnet another two are located below the headlight's.
one eitherside. once there out the grille just
pop's out on either side from the front wings.
carful you dont damadge the paint.

as for the wing. you wil have to drop the side of the bumper off.
take the number plate off, there are two 13 mm bolts. take them out
on the side that your replacing there are two 30 torx bolts. they are different type bolts though. an oval headed one in the top end of the bumper by the wheel and then a counter sunk one under neath the copner off the bumper which connects it to the support arm off the chassis leg.
then pull the corner of the bumper
take the bumper bracket off. if you see the plastic pins that hold it in you bush the centers out and you can pull the bracket free.
there are two 10mm bolts behind this mounting the wing, take them out.
there three 10mm bolts under the bonnet.
and another 2 you access from the a pillar with the front door open.
the wings are sealed on round the edge of the wheel arch with seam sealer.
give it a good pull and it should come off or cut the sealer with a stanley

hope this helps

good luck

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Often when removing the grill the slam panel will not come off just like that. Apparently there is a tool for sliding between the panel and the wings (but it doesn't work too well by all accounts) or you can wrap a screwdriver in rag and gentle prise the panel away from the wing. Other people have recommended an allen key pushed into the gap, turned and pull, but I have found my slam panel is stuck pretty firmly and I hate taking it off for fear of damaging the paint. Basically this is one of the few design ideas that VW must have handed to the tea boy!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Often when removing the grill the slam panel will not come off just like that. Apparently there is a tool for sliding between the panel and the wings (but it doesn't work too well by all accounts) or you can wrap a screwdriver in rag and gentle prise the panel away from the wing. Other people have recommended an allen key pushed into the gap, turned and pull, but I have found my slam panel is stuck pretty firmly and I hate taking it off for fear of damaging the paint. Basically this is one of the few design ideas that VW must have handed to the tea boy!

As well as between the guard & wings, try a hook carefully between the bumper & the panel & get it started moving. Carefull the hook doesn't chip the paint.
Once you can see how it comes apart it's fairly easy. Mine was stuck as well & before I put it back I lightly greased the 4 pins with some teflon grease. The next time it was "a piece of cake".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts