VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keen to see what people have made to act as Overhead ceiling storage unit across the rear of the van (have seen some people have made them as a speaker housing) I just want some additional storage. I have a full width rnr bed so this seems a good place to whack some storage up. What you got people?

:)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, sorry, I should have been clearer, I mean inside the van a full width storage unit / locker at the rear mounted under the ceiling ... hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Does James at T4World make them for speakers, perhaps if ya have a word he could make a deeper one so it can be used for storageT:
Great idea tho'A:

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Does James at T4World make them for speakers, perhaps if ya have a word he could make a deeper one so it can be used for storageT:
Great idea tho'A:

James made Mine, I opted for two speakers and storage in the centre. No reason why it couldn't be done withoutthe speakers though and all
storage.

Give him a bell, he made a cracking job of mine.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
are you gonna do some paper templates while your making it? So others can borrow and benefit from your hard work and head scratchin:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not yet what sort of depth you thinking i thought about 1 ft :ILU::ILU::cool:

Yes, that sounds about right. I was thinking about almost a simple shelf base that goes from left side to right side, with a fixed front panel with a hole cut in it for a 'door / entry panel'. I'm thinking about making the removable front 'door / entry panel' out of light ply and just have it sit on strong magnets to attach the front panel, allowing easy access. I would leave the rear of the unit open as 1. it would not be visible and 2 . would allow easy access from the back of the van with the doors open (would put cargo netting across the back of the unit) I would not board across the top of the ceiling either, in theory making it very simple, just the shelf and the front panel. Hope that all makes sense

I'm mainly thinking of it as a place to store a duvet and pillows (in compression sacs if needed) - under the bed is crammed!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Working on this at the minute (as speaker housings) on the pROJECT mAYHEM build. I want to utilise the full span of the back as it makes it easier to fix one structure as opposed to two and getting the levels right. The obvious problem that I can see so far will be the reduced height access on the rear doors (I have barn doors but it can not be much better on a tail gate). It is well worth chopping a piece of timber (width wise) to the height that you want your storage to sit at and seeing how far it drops as it surprised me how much difference a 6.5 inch protrusion (measured from the centre) makes in this respect. Now looking at a clever bit of work with a mitre saw (not my forte :eek:) and I think I can manage it though this is probably not relevant to you if you want to use it as storage.

Will post up some pics of progress if you want but it will be a few days as I am cooking Vindaloo for a mate tomorrow in between swearing about my inability to cut wood to the shape I want it.. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Working on this at the minute (as speaker housings) on the pROJECT mAYHEM build. I want to utilise the full span of the back as it makes it easier to fix one structure as opposed to two and getting the levels right. The obvious problem that I can see so far will be the reduced height access on the rear doors (I have barn doors but it can not be much better on a tail gate). It is well worth chopping a piece of timber (width wise) to the height that you want your storage to sit at and seeing how far it drops as it surprised me how much difference a 6.5 inch protrusion (measured from the centre) makes in this respect. Now looking at a clever bit of work with a mitre saw (not my forte :eek:) and I think I can manage it though this is probably not relevant to you if you want to use it as storage.

Will post up some pics of progress if you want but it will be a few days as I am cooking Vindaloo for a mate tomorrow in between swearing about my inability to cut wood to the shape I want it.. ;)

Be good to see pic's I have barn doors also, interesting to read about the access, I'll certainly play with some templates. I guess if I really wanted to get something large in the back I would take the unit out as it should be a fairly simple fix in / out. Vindaloo sounds very good, enjoy!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think I have the plans for a bay rear roof storage box thingy I could post up if it gives anyone a starting point.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I'm working on an idea at the moment, but will need to leave half the width available to carry the tail of a surfboard stored in the roof. Nearly theer though ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts