VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All lights previously worked in my ex AA T4, but I did notice that one terminal in both headlight plugs (on the back of the bulb) was burnt.
Recently, one of my main beam has stopped working, but the bulb is fine and full beam works still. I've been out with a voltmeter and current is getting to the top of the three connectors for full beam, and the left connector (looking back into engine bay) for main beam. The right hand connector on both headlights (the burnt ones) is getting exceptionally hot. I guess this is the earth as there's no current.
My question is: can anyone tell me where the headlights are earthed to and if anyone has had this before. I need both headlights working but am also terrified to use the lights at all as the wiring is getting so hot.

Any ideas....?????!!!!!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I would suggest getting a headlight upgrade loom, there are a couple of traders selling them on here. these use relays to take power direct from the battery rather than through the headlight switch, this will dramatically reduce the load on the existing headlight connectors, and improve your headlights at the same time. It's one of the best mods I've done to my van.

below is a diagram showing which wire is which on the connector, the view is front the bulb side:

HTH
Pete

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great help, thank you: and what a simple way to show the connector layout rather than rambling on like I did! Lol. I suspected that was the layout, and it confirms that it's the earths that are burnt out and getting exceptionally hot. It's strange that main beam works on one headlight and dipped beam doesn't, but that can stay in the world of unexplained things - I've ordered an upgrade loom as it seems a much better alternative than trying to chase gremlins in wires! Incidentally, I'm getting over 14volts at one of the connectors: again, hard to fathom but then there's a lot of AA trickery going on in my engine bay so nothing would surprise me!

Thanks again for the help,
Pete

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Upspex, all bulbs are correct though as I checked them as soon as I bought the van. Obviously, that doesn't mean te wron bulbs haven't been in there before and burnt the connectors/wiring so perhaps that's the cause of the overheating issue.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.