VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i will start with hello to all im new on hear and iv bought a t4 1.9 transporter to convert into a surf buss / day van, very clean van but after driving it i found there was no warm air blowing from the heater matrix, i looked under the bonnet and the heater pipes have been bypassed? great, i reconnected and found a leak very strange coming from under the van around the seating area? i then removed the trim from infront of the heater matrix and found a small flexi pipe coming from the bottom of the heater unit into the floor i pulled it out of the floor and there was water comin out???????????? what is this pipe for and does anyone now what the problem could be before i take the dash out and have to strip the heater matrix, sorry for the big write up chaps, really hope someone can help me and look forward to your replies regards tim

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had same scenario with a ford mondeo i bought years ago, didnt notice when i first bought it until the winter set in and no heat!
Turned out that the heater matrix was missing and the to and from hoses had been connected together as a bypass.
Can only suppose the seller had a cracked matrix or something, knew he was going to sell, so didnt bother to replace it.
I got a matrix from a breaker for a few quid whacked it in and reconnected the hoses that had been bypassed and all was good (and warm]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can ayone shed some light on the flexi pipe which comes out of the heater unit in cab and goes into the floor? what is this for?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The flexi pipe is a drain for your heater box, it stops any water which will collect in the box for various reasons from draining onto the floor of your van and corroding it. It routes it outside.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much for the reply pal cant tell you how much that has helped, would you say then if i have water comin from there constantly my matrix is leaking? thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I'd say it's fair to assume your matrix is goosed. The previous owner has bypassed it for a reason and now you have reconnected it you have water running out the drain pipe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice one for the replies, well i thought the matrix was shagged but i just wanted to make sure as i could have been somthin simple, anyone got a spare heater around manchester they can sell me lol i think im best gettin one before i take mine out so i can do straight swop, thanks for the replies chaps been very helpfull A:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts