VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a transporter T4 888 special SWB 88 on a 52 plate.

After having the engine management light come on the vw main dealer diagnosed the main problem to be a

No4 Needle lifter jet faulty.

Im thinking of doing the job myself but I'm hoping for some advise on the matter first.

the engine is AJT 2461cc

can anybody tell me what parts i will need and recommend where to get them from?

also how do i locate No.4 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
hi dude i know this isnt much help to you ,but as main dealer given you a price ,just woundering why you want to tackle it ,doncaster main dealer charged me 80 odd notes alltogerther for same job ,and they was done in hour pumps are like an engine in them selfs you can soon c-ck up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi dude i know this isnt much help to you ,but as main dealer given you a price ,just woundering why you want to tackle it ,doncaster main dealer charged me 80 odd notes alltogerther for same job ,and they was done in hour pumps are like an engine in them selfs you can soon c-ck up
Hi mitton

im a bit confused when you say about pumps?
the main dealer i went to quoted over £600 for the job.
i was under the impression it was something to do with an injector?

·
Registered
356 Posts
hi pal when i had it done about three years ago they said the exact thing as your discribing ,but they said it was fuel pump relaited so thats what stuck in my mind ,it kangaroo like sh-t hlf a mile near dealership ,i managed to hobble my way into car park ,so i was basicly trapped into them doing the job:(,i thought like your self not that much change out of a grand ,so i left it with them to give me a price ,got our las to pick me up with my tools, got to job ,started work for about an hour,to get a text mess to say vans done 80 odd notes ,and thanks very much,also inc for computer dia ,dont know if you can wangle this one ,but try and phone hayseldons doncaster ,and ask if you can be put through to johno he the tec who did mine and he also got a nice t4 ,also befofe i bought my t4 it had a past with fuel pump ,the past owner told our las ,that the dealership wanted 600 for a start with ,he haggled with them and got it done for 300 ,so there you have it ,is it a set charge or are they making prices up as they go along. the two probs may not be conecterd just trying to help m8 thats allT:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Changing injectors isn't terribly difficult. No.4 injector houses the needle lift sensor that tells the ECU the rotational position of the engine so it knows how to adjust the injection timing. No.4 injector has a cable attached to it as well as the injection and bleed off hoses. Check the following "how to" thread for more details:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141630

//NiSk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi pal when i had it done about three years ago they said the exact thing as your discribing ,but they said it was fuel pump relaited so thats what stuck in my mind ,it kangaroo like sh-t hlf a mile near dealership ,i managed to hobble my way into car park ,so i was basicly trapped into them doing the job:(,i thought like your self not that much change out of a grand ,so i left it with them to give me a price ,got our las to pick me up with my tools, got to job ,started work for about an hour,to get a text mess to say vans done 80 odd notes ,and thanks very much,also inc for computer dia ,dont know if you can wangle this one ,but try and phone hayseldons doncaster ,and ask if you can be put through to johno he the tec who did mine and he also got a nice t4 ,also befofe i bought my t4 it had a past with fuel pump ,the past owner told our las ,that the dealership wanted 600 for a start with ,he haggled with them and got it done for 300 ,so there you have it ,is it a set charge or are they making prices up as they go along. the two probs may not be conecterd just trying to help m8 thats allT:
Cheers for your help mitton, the van runs fine most of the time and the engine management light sometimes doesn't come on for ages (months). I know main dealers are greedy but going on you paying £80 and them quoting me £600 i would guess at the problems being completely different. fingers crossed though i hope I'm wrong and i can get this sorted for under a ton.

Cheers mate

·
6,709 Posts
Before you do anything, measure the resistance acrross the pins on the wire.

If its 90 - 120 homs then your injector might actually be ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changing injectors isn't terribly difficult. No.4 injector houses the needle lift sensor that tells the ECU the rotational position of the engine so it knows how to adjust the injection timing. No.4 injector has a cable attached to it as well as the injection and bleed off hoses. Check the following "how to" thread for more details:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141630

//NiSk
Hi NiSk

thanks for the reply

I have read that one and will defiantly be following it if it turns out i need to change the injector.

You say the needle lift "Sensor" is No.4 which is a start but the main dealer have said its the needle lift "Jet" any ideas on what this is and where it can be found?

cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you do anything, measure the resistance acrross the pins on the wire.

If its 90 - 120 homs then your injector might actually be ok.

Hi Rake

sounds easy enough to do but can you give me a little guide on how to do it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi NiSk

thanks for the reply

I have read that one and will defiantly be following it if it turns out i need to change the injector.

You say the needle lift "Sensor" is No.4 which is a start but the main dealer have said its the needle lift "Jet" any ideas on what this is and where it can be found?

cheers
The needle lift sensor is built into the injector body of no.4 injector. If the fault is only occurring occasionally it could be either the sensor or the wiring to it. First do as Rake suggested, Find the connector where the wire from the injector plugs into the harness, separate it and measure the resistance across the connectors going to the injector with a multimeter set to ohms. Try wiggling the cable around and see if the value changes, if so there's a break in one of the wires. If the resistance is outside the range or the value changes when you wiggle the cable, change the injector.

//NiSk

·
6,709 Posts
If it does turn out to be the injector you'd be well advised to have them balanced at the very least.

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Ron.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts