VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1999 t4, last week I fitted a new pioneer sph-evo62DABUNI (picture attached). I was naive and did not switch the red and yellow wire over on the harness and have had to manually turn the stereo on / off. Thus my battery was flat today. I have now switched the two wires around however I can still turn on the stereo without putting the key in the ignition.
Is this correct or is there another step I have missed? I will add a picture of the two wires I have swapped (picture is before the wires were swapped).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi , The Radio should ony be live when the key is in , The ignition live is only for the memory.

Have you tried seeing if the live from the van is switched on/ off from the wire before fitting ?. If live all the time it maybe someone has run both to permanent live .

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , The Radio should ony be live when the key is in , The ignition live is only for the memory.

Have you tried seeing if the live from the van is switched on/ off from the wire before fitting ?. If live all the time it maybe someone has run both to permanent live .

Andy
Thanks Andy, I will look now, also the original t4 stereo was able to turn on without a key In the ignition, is this normal?

·
Registered
71 Posts
95 t4 and stereo needs key in ignition to run. When I changed stereo, pretty sure I had to swap the red and yellow in the new look.

Would be interested to hear what you think of the pioneer. I have an android head unit but been looking at the evo 62 (non uni). CarPlay would be nice but it’s nice having a head unit that isn’t reliant on a phone so i am on the fence.

Kinda hopeful that the pioneer would sound better than my xtrons but no easy way to tell without swapping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
95 t4 and stereo needs key in ignition to run. When I changed stereo, pretty sure I had to swap the red and yellow in the new look.

Would be interested to hear what you think of the pioneer. I have an android head unit but been looking at the evo 62 (non uni). CarPlay would be nice but it’s nice having a head unit that isn’t reliant on a phone so i am on the fence.

Kinda hopeful that the pioneer would sound better than my xtrons but no easy way to tell without swapping.

The pioneer head unit is spot on. It still has normal mp3 / Bluetooth / radio features so a phone being connected isn’t always necessary.
Just wish I could figure out what’s draining the power! After switching the wires I tested what amperage was being drawn from the battery whilst the keys were out of the ignition, it is pulling 88mA so I’m not sure if it’s still an issue or not however that seems high considering the engine is off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Suspect 88ma isn’t unusual for all the clocks, immobiliser etc. If I get a chance I will check mine and come back to you (I recently stuck solar on the dashboard as the layup and winter have been causing my battery issues too).
Probably won’t be until later this week, want to give the battery terminals a clean at some stage so would be then

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suspect 88ma isn’t unusual for all the clocks, immobiliser etc. If I get a chance I will check mine and come back to you (I recently stuck solar on the dashboard as the layup and winter have been causing my battery issues too).
Probably won’t be until later this week, want to give the battery terminals a clean at some stage so would be then

Ok brill, cheers

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Just in case your unlucky, have you checked that your auxiliary water pump hasnt suddenly decided to stay on permanently?
Mine was permanently on when i bought mine, the vendor kindly neglected to let me in this gem, along with a long list of gems.
I ended up replacing the three different temp switches in the end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have finally figured it out. The harness I bought from Halfords (on their recommendation) had an extra wire on the harness that went from the switch live to the permanent live. Not entirely sure why but the stereo now turns on / off when turning the ignition on / off as well as keeping the presets. I have ended up just cutting the extra wire to stop the flow. Annoyed I didn’t spot it before, however, the stereo looks and sounds great. Thanks for everyone’s help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts