VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1993 L reg 2.4 Diesel caravelle that I have been doing up and converting to a camper. Unfortunately not got a clue when it comes to mechanics!
The clutch has just gone and engine not sounding too great. Mechanic took a look and there might also be a prob with the engine - probably head gasket. They tried bleeding the clutch etc but no joy. Radiator expansion tank was also empty but could not see any obvious leaks.
After towing and giving it a look at he suggested taking the head off and checking the engine further but thinks its damaged and needs replacing/overhauling the engine. No quote yet for this but he's quoted £500 to do the clutch alone!
Don't want to get ripped off so what sort of price should I be paying for clutch and head gasket to be replaced and engine ovehauled etc? Am thinking I might be better off getting a second hand reconditioned engine. Any advice would be much appreciated!

:(

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I have 1993 L reg 2.4 Diesel caravelle that I have been doing up and converting to a camper. Unfortunately not got a clue when it comes to mechanics!
The clutch has just gone and engine not sounding too great. Mechanic took a look and there might also be a prob with the engine - probably head gasket. They tried bleeding the clutch etc but no joy. Radiator expansion tank was also empty but could not see any obvious leaks.
After towing and giving it a look at he suggested taking the head off and checking the engine further but thinks its damaged and needs replacing/overhauling the engine. No quote yet for this but he's quoted £500 to do the clutch alone!
Don't want to get ripped off so what sort of price should I be paying for clutch and head gasket to be replaced and engine ovehauled etc? Am thinking I might be better off getting a second hand reconditioned engine. Any advice would be much appreciated!

:(
Unless you can do the mechanics yourself get a good re-con or a known good second hand engine and have someone fit it.
The cost of a rebuild would be at least £1000 if it were done properly.
Aw engineering do very good re-con cylinder heads which use brand new castings and parts so effectively it is new.
http://www.vwenginerecon.co.uk/
Most likely you will only need a cylinder head because the bottom of the 2.4 is bullet proof.Just make sure they replace the crank pulley and washer from VW also.
If you change the clutch from duel mass to single it will also save you money and they are far more reliable. The clutch replacement cost you have been quoted is mainly down to the labour costs involved as it is a time consuming job.
You will probably find the Labour costs will not be much more if you get them to do the replacement head and pulley at the same time, as they will probably opt to drop the engine out.
But do the above and you will effectively have a new engine rather than second hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - hopefully just cylinder head will need replacing but waiting for a call back with some more info about what needs replacing. Will give AW a look.

Will changing from a dual mass to single clutch affect the performance at all?

I really need to read up on some mechanics!

:)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Will changing from a dual mass to single clutch affect the performance at all?

:)
Only if your engine mountings are dodgy.
I fitted one in mine and can't tell a jot of a difference and once fitted the flywheel is in pretty much for life. Unlike the dual mass that should be changed at every new clutch which works out a bit pricey.
A new solid flywheel and clutch works out at about £200

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only if your engine mountings are dodgy.
I fitted one in mine and can't tell a jot of a difference and once fitted the flywheel is in pretty much for life. Unlike the dual mass that should be changed at every new clutch which works out a bit pricey.
A new solid flywheel and clutch works out at about £200
fit new flywheel with new mount bolts correctly torqued to avoid any crank damage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers. Will see what they say monday and go from there. AW look good but hopefully won't need them but more than likely will! Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big thanks to you forum guys/gals. Thanks to your advice, and more on the forum, managed to figure out enough to suss mechanic was giving me dodgy advice and trying to rip me off! He said I needed complete new clutch, head gasket and/or complete engine rebuild £2-3000!
By luck, managed to find a decent place and ended up only having to have new master cylinder, cam belt, timing belt, water pump, couple of other bits and bobs etc done along with dashboard electrics (as had fuel light out etc). Got dash etc from fleabay and all in cost under £750.00. Recommend CFT Partnerships in High Wycombe and Phil. T4 man and ex VW mechanic :)

Now just got to fix leaking sunroofs and fit electrics for split relay! So......if anyone knows someone who could take a look at leaky manual sunroofs that would be great!

:) A:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts